Pro hiker tips for beginners!

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    SusanMcMc wrote: »
    Overall, a good hike is about hiking. What I mean is that it makes much more sense to get some hikes, backpacking trips, and campouts in between now and your big Colorado hike than to spend that time, effort, and money optimizing your gear setup. There's lots of places to go in Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas for weekend adventures. And you don't need new or top of the line gear, clothing, etc. to have a fantastic trip.

Over the past 10 years or so, we've encountered a lot of newbie backpackers attempting thruhikes on the longer trails. The ones that are going to make it just put in the time to learn how to hike and enjoy it. But there's a lot who have fantastic, ultralight kits that don't seem to be really getting what hiking is about.

Agreed. A few overnight practice trips will help you decide what gear is essential FOR YOU and what you don't need. I get teased because I always make space for my mini peppermill, but I am weird that way.

The common sense stuff like first aid and water purifying supplies (and bug repellent), something to heat water and/or cook with, food, and shelter are essential. The rest is personal preference.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I've done 10 mile day hikes and longer, but I probably wouldn't enjoy a round trip 20 mile hike in a day...I could do it, but it wouldn't be all that fun. I've also done a short hike in backpack camping trip like this just to get away for the weekend and enjoy the mountains. It's also a good way to aquatint one's self with backpacking and make mental notes of things you want/need, stuff you brought but don't need, etc. When I first started backpacking it took me a few trips to dial in my gear, so something like this is perfect for that.
    [edited by mods to remove quote]
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've done 10 mile day hikes and longer, but I probably wouldn't enjoy a round trip 20 mile hike in a day...I could do it, but it wouldn't be all that fun. I've also done a short hike in backpack camping trip like this just to get away for the weekend and enjoy the mountains. It's also a good way to aquatint one's self with backpacking and make mental notes of things you want/need, stuff you brought but don't need, etc. When I first started backpacking it took me a few trips to dial in my gear, so something like this is perfect for that.
    [edited by mods to remove quote]

I have done 24 miles in a day but it was a walk with gentle ups and downs, not a hike. When I hike I am there for the nature and to get away, so trying to get as much mileage as possible just doesn't appeal to me. 10 miles in, camp, and 10 miles out seems perfect to me.