On The Mend

On Valentine's day I fell down a flight of stairs and sprained my ankle pretty bad. I have been off of it for 4 days now and am almost better. Just wondering what are some good exercises I could possibly do while it is still healing. I'm tired of sitting on my bum.

Replies

• smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    You could do a few pilates mat exercises. Heaps of videos on YouTube. I recommend pop pilates :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    gumbi95 wrote: »
    On Valentine's day I fell down a flight of stairs and sprained my ankle pretty bad. I have been off of it for 4 days now and am almost better. Just wondering what are some good exercises I could possibly do while it is still healing. I'm tired of sitting on my bum.

4 days sounds very short for recovery time for a bad sprain? A friend of mine was sidelined for 12 weeks with a sprain.
  • gumbi95
    gumbi95 Posts: 4 Member
    You could do a few pilates mat exercises. Heaps of videos on YouTube. I recommend pop pilates :)

Thank you! I've never tried pilates, but i am very interested and excited to give it a try!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    You could swim and use a pull buoy to immobilise your legs/ankles. This is a great way to maintain cardio fitness.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    gumbi95 wrote: »

4 days sounds very short for recovery time for a bad sprain? A friend of mine was sidelined for 12 weeks with a sprain.

I tend to agree with this: I had a not too bad sprain and was out for about 8 weeks (although not out entirely-it was that long before I could return fully to normal activity).

I was able to bike fairly early (but not with clips because it was way too painful to unclip). I could do some upper body weights on a stack machine (difficult to carry things around the gym). I didn’t have the ankle flexibility to row or do any lower body lifting. I found yoga to be the most uncomfortable of everything (I didn’t have the ability to move my ankle much without pain and I didn’t have the flexibility to move it much).