Legs Wearing Out While Walking

2»

Replies

• misselamap
    misselamap Posts: 1 Member
    Slow down. Slow down your walking speed until you can walk a mile. Then get to two miles. Then three miles. Then speed up a bit. Then a bit more or maybe add short bursts of faster walking between recovery slower walking. Then add another challenge. You can’t go from zero to running fast without injury.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Gradually increase the amount you run/walk each day. The C25k app is great for that. Shoes can play a big part also, it helps to get fitted properly at a running store. Stretching and foam rolling after running is great too.
  • Newby1974
    Newby1974 Posts: 13 Member
    I would say warmup first walking and do some 20-30 sec sprints. Or a min on a min off between walking and jogging...Also check out your shoes. Are you wearing the right ones. Running? Are they new?

OP if you're having problems with walking 3/4 of a mile, sprinting is not the best advice. It can lead to injury then you won't be walking at all. It is good advice to be professionally fitted for shoes at a running store. If you have the wrong shoes, getting the right ones may be the answer. Assuming it isn't just the shoes, as others have said, walk at a pace that allows you to comfortably start getting the mileage in. Once you are able to walk as far as your goal without pain, increase the speed a bit and maybe the incline. I am training for a half marathon and I walk at a 3.4 pace - slow and steady will build your stamina and muscles. Trying to go too fast, too soon will just hurt.

I have never given thought to my shoes, in part because I hate shoe shopping. Last time I bought shoes I walked into Payless going "no, no, no, yes. My size? Good, let's go home." I thought the shoes looked familiar, turned out I was wearing the exact style I bought the year before. A few months later Mom surprised me with a new pair of shoes. Oddly enough, they were the exact style I had on. They are Nike and I wear them for everything.
  • Newby1974
    stutba wrote: »
    Just a thought... When I am on the treadmill with just plain street shoes, like my sketchers, I get shin pains terrible. (even when just walking on the treadmill). I put on my running shoes (just started running again) and the pains go away.
    Is it possible you need to get fitted for a good pair of running shoes? They are pricey, but it is worth it. You need to go to a reputable store to get fitted properly. I wouldn't just buy a pair of the shelf as they might not be what is needed.
    Best of luck

Another post about shoes. Maybe there really is something to it. 🤔
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Newby1974 wrote: »
    I have never given thought to my shoes, in part because I hate shoe shopping. Last time I bought shoes I walked into Payless going "no, no, no, yes. My size? Good, let's go home." I thought the shoes looked familiar, turned out I was wearing the exact style I bought the year before. A few months later Mom surprised me with a new pair of shoes. Oddly enough, they were the exact style I had on. They are Nike and I wear them for everything.

Go to a professional running store. They will analyze your gait and your pronation. It won't help with overuse injury but it will help with your form.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »

If you are having trouble at 4mph, then do 3mph and work on it until you can feel more comfortable. You will still burn calories walking at that pace.

I was afraid of hearing that. 😐

why?

Because I wanna push a lil harder, further and faster. I don't wanna hafta slow down... Even if show and steady wins the race, so to speak.

You can push, but you need to find an appropriate starting point so you can progress safely and adopt a reasonable rate of sdcancement. Neither of which might be what you want. None of us starts off where we hope to. Not a single person. The point is to start where you are today and move forward from there.
  • Newby1974
    Because I wanna push a lil harder, further and faster. I don't wanna hafta slow down... Even if show and steady wins the race, so to speak.

Then I am confused why you asked for tips. Would you rather have us lie to you and say, yeah dude, run like the wind...until you can't walk and end up in physical therapy to undo the damage you did to yourself? Several of the people who have responded to you in this thread started where you are and learned from experience to slow down and build stamina. You do you and I hope it all works out ok for you.

There's nothing to be confused about. It's simply I had kinda hoped there was another answer. For example, a lot of responses besides slow down a little has been about shoes.

Also, I had read about a beet root supplement that helps runners and bikers. I kinda expected a mention of something like that, but nothing yet.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Also, I had read about a beet root supplement that helps runners and bikers. I kinda expected a mention of something like that, but nothing yet.

You won't usually hear about any type of "magic" supplements from the people who have been here a while.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    When you first start running your heart and lungs are likely to let you push further than your tendons and ligaments are ready for. Allow your body to get stronger and you'll end up better in the end without injury. And yes go get some proper shoes fitted. Go to a running store not a big box.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Then I am confused why you asked for tips. Would you rather have us lie to you and say, yeah dude, run like the wind...until you can't walk and end up in physical therapy to undo the damage you did to yourself? Several of the people who have responded to you in this thread started where you are and learned from experience to slow down and build stamina. You do you and I hope it all works out ok for you.

There's nothing to be confused about. It's simply I had kinda hoped there was another answer. For example, a lot of responses besides slow down a little has been about shoes.

Beetroot supplementation is used by endurance athletes looking to get the last tiny fraction of a percentage of an advantage after years of building up their fitness and endurance.
    I tend to use it when I'm cycling 130 miles on a very hilly course for example. It's awful, but pink pee is fun. :neutral:

It's a complete irrelevance for someone in your position.

Just build up slow - just like everyone does (or should do) starting from a low fitness level.
    If you can't walk fast, walk slower - don't run until you can walk fast for an extended period of time.

• Newby1974
    sijomial wrote: »

Beetroot supplementation is used by endurance athletes looking to get the last tiny fraction of a percentage of an advantage after years of building up their fitness and endurance.
    I tend to use it when I'm cycling 130 miles on a very hilly course for example. It's awful, but pink pee is fun. :neutral:

It's a complete irrelevance for someone in your position.

Just build up slow - just like everyone does (or should do) starting from a low fitness level.
    If you can't walk fast, walk slower - don't run until you can walk fast for an extended period of time.

130 miles! OMG! I knew cycling was a thing but I didn't realize is was like all that! They do the Tour de Paris (Texas) here every year.

Appreciate the insight in the beetroot. It is on my list of supps to be added. I'm slowly building up my own stash of pure supps without the additives, bought online to make my own blend rather than have a bunch of store bought cans full of fillers and flavoring and all. I did not realize it discolored urine. That alone could tempt me to move it up the list. LOL

You all seem to have pretty consistent advice, I'm trying to go faster than I'm physically ready for and I should look into some proper footwear. My wife will love that. 😀 It's her favorite thing when I say, "you know what I need...."

With all this said, I'm mainly interested in weight lifting. I include the treadmill because A) I like to get a good blood flow pumping first.
    B) I need additional fat burning exercise because I wanna get rid of my years of tater chips, beef jerky and Miller Lite buildup. (I only need to lose about 30 lbs.)
    C) My eldest son is 14. I wanna be able to catch up with him if he pisses me off and decides to make a run for it

With those being my main priorities, do I really need to invest in running shoes? I'm figuring the short answer is "yes." And the main reason I'm asking is because y'all keep mentioning they ain't exactly cheap, so I dunno what I'm in for yet on that note.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    SHOES!! Get really good ones. Made for walking. You’ll be amazed. Don’t ever, ever skimp on shoes. And replace them regularly.
  • Silent_Soliloquy
    Silent_Soliloquy Posts: 237 Member
    solieco1 wrote: »
    When you first start running your heart and lungs are likely to let you push further than your tendons and ligaments are ready for. Allow your body to get stronger and you'll end up better in the end without injury. And yes go get some proper shoes fitted. Go to a running store not a big box.

^^ this. Exactly this. I was in pretty good physical shape ... but had no running experience. It was easy to talk and sing and run ... but my knees and ankles would hurt.

The good people here taught me to slow way down and ... it made a huge difference.

You are training your joints more than your heart and lungs for the first 2 months or so.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Like everyone else has said ... get the right equipment (shoes) and build up gradually.

I'm a long distance cyclist but I needed to build up gradually with my running too.