Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Gaining Weight Back

ItsMeDua
ItsMeDua Posts: 14 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
In order to lose weight and then NOT GAIN IT BACK, am I supposed to have a calorie deficit for the rest of my life? In the year 2018, I lost 8kgs 😍 but then I stopped logging into MFP and gained back 4 kgs in a few months 😿 I did eat in greater quantities (Summer vacations) but not everyday. I was careful too. I really do see the importance of MFP now but for how long will I have to do this? Hopefully, after a few years I’ll have a good know how of what’s too much and what’s too little but sometimes you think you know but you don’t. I don’t know.. Any thoughts?

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    When you get to goal weight, the next step is to learn how to get into maintenance. A lot of people just go back to eating the same way they did, re-gain all the weight and wonder what happened. You can't go back to that kind of over-eating if you want to maintain your goal weight. But there are a lot of good resources in the maintaining weight section and a lot of people who have successfully kept it off, so it is possible :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have to continue logging.
    When I reached my goal in 2016 I had lost 140lbs. Due to a combination of not logging and a BCP that made me feel ravenous all the time I started 2018 23lbs heavier than 2016. So my conclusion is that I am horrible at eyeballing and will have to continue to log food 95% of the time to keep it off. The difference though is that I will be able to eat a few hundred more calories during maintenance.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Look into reverse diet. After being in a prolonged calorie deficit, you need to get your calories back up to your new maintenance slowly. Holy Baxter who is a dietitian and competitive body builder has done videos on YouTube tracking her reverse diet after shows.
  • ItsMeDua
    ItsMeDua Posts: 14 Member
    That’s trueee and awesome! Thank you :)
    No Pain, No Gain..
    When you get to goal weight, the next step is to learn how to get into maintenance. A lot of people just go back to eating the same way they did, re-gain all the weight and wonder what happened. You can't go back to that kind of over-eating if you want to maintain your goal weight. But there are a lot of good resources in the maintaining weight section and a lot of people who have successfully kept it off, so it is possible :)

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,131 Member
    There are some interesting threads in the maintenance section....