If you end up eating or binging after midnight do you put on the day before or on the actual date,?

Options
It's nearly 3am with me & I've just eaten a load of things. I have chronic insomnia so it's really difficult. I don't know which day to put these food in the food diary.

Replies

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as they are accounted for. Do whatever will help you get back on track
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I set my time zone several hours behind my actual time zone, so any late night eating counts for the day from which I am still awake, not the new day. I like to count my reset as when I go to sleep. But as mentioned above, it doesn't matter so much as long as you are accounting for it somewhere.
  • TerylOz
    TerylOz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter as long as they are accounted for. Do whatever will help you get back on track

I agree. If you're tracking the foods you consume, it probably doesn't matter which day you add them to, but it might be a good idea to be consistant, whatever you decide, so it's easier to remember when you recorded it.

I also suffer from chronic insomnia & record my food intake for the actual date, so if it's 3am, I record it under "breakfast" for that day.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    It's up to you but I would record it as the previous day as I like to start with a clean slate in the morning
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter, because your body doesn't reset at midnight. Just log it.

That said, the one thing I'd suggest avoiding is bargaining with yourself to game your daily totals. That is, don't be thinking "I'll put it on yesterday because I was under a little so I have room" or "I'm at goal today so I'll put it on tomorrow and eat less to make up". That kind of eating/logging can be a slippery slope to disordered thinking, IMO.

Just pick a rule for you to follow consistently, and follow it. Personally, I usually keep my diary day open until I go to bed, then close it. Therefore, if I got up and ate something later, I'd log it on the next day. But if you prefer, it would be equally OK to log it as the preceding day, either by reopening the day, or not closing that day until you consciously start a new one.

Just pick a rule, and stick with it.

Best wishes!
  • AutumLeaf
    AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies :) I originally logged on for the date of the binge (today) & felt really discouraged today & felt like giving up. But then after reading comments on here I decided put it on yesterday as I'd not slept yet. Decided to make today a blank slate.