Issues adding to database?

veganbaum
veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
This is a technical issue, but I don't know how to report it and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed the same thing.

I noticed this weekend that when I add a new food to the database, or correct a food that's already entered, it's no longer there when I try to go back to add it to my diary or recipe builder. I know that wasn't happening during the holidays, which I think is the last time I was changing anything in or adding to the database. At first I thought I made a mistake, but I tried it again and the entry was no longer there, neither the old or corrected. I just tried again, and it did the same thing.

Has anyone else noticed this? It's really odd. And annoying when I'm trying to correct nutritional information or add grams. It's really impeding the entire purpose of the dang database.

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,547 Member
    It will be there the next day.
  • PAV8888
    Maybe, 'cause MFPeeeee!
  • veganbaum
    Guess I'll look for it tomorrow. But that's absurd. Never happened before.
  • PAV8888
    I dunno. My web edits about two years ago started to disappear right after... and usually appear later.... hence my comment!
  • veganbaum
    Thanks for answering. Hopefully the edits will show up. Otherwise, I'll end up with some logging problems!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes. If you have to correct or add a food. It doesn’t seem to show up in the database ever for recipes (it’ll be there for regular logging-well it’s in my recents so I don’t actually go to the DB for it again so I’m not sure if it’s really there or not for regular logging).

I’ve had to enter/correct the food. Make a “my food” for that food. Then use the old recipe builder on the website so I can retrieve foods from “my foods” for recipes.

Amd pray really hard that before the next time I make a recipe using that ingredient, someone else will enter it correctly in the DB. I’ve got some I’ve been waiting 5 years. 74859595274 entries for usda broccoli, but still not one correct entry for this particular brand of low sodium black beans? Oy.

Anyway-that’s my workaround.
  • veganbaum
    Yes. If you have to correct or add a food. It doesn’t seem to show up in the database ever for recipes (it’ll be there for regular logging-well it’s in my recents so I don’t actually go to the DB for it again so I’m not sure if it’s really there or not for regular logging).

I’ve had to enter/correct the food. Make a “my food” for that food. Then use the old recipe builder on the website so I can retrieve foods from “my foods” for recipes.

Amd pray really hard that before the next time I make a recipe using that ingredient, someone else will enter it correctly in the DB. I’ve got some I’ve been waiting 5 years. 74859595274 entries for usda broccoli, but still not one correct entry for this particular brand of low sodium black beans? Oy.

Anyway-that’s my workaround.

How do you retrieve foods from My Foods when entering a recipe? Do they automatically show in the list? It's quite frustrating because this has never happened before. I could edit an entry and then immediately add it.
  • PAV8888
    You can save a meal in a new day using your preferred entries and then name it something unique and enter it as the single ingredient using the old recipe builder, thus ensuring your recipe will use the entries you want.
  • veganbaum
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You can save a meal in a new day using your preferred entries and then name it something unique and enter it as the single ingredient using the old recipe builder, thus ensuring your recipe will use the entries you want.

Now I'm just feeling dumb. This doesn't make sense to me as to how you would access it in the builder. I'll just have to experiment, I guess. All these years with MFP and haven't had these issues. Now I'm really irked. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • thisisjaimerene
    thisisjaimerene Posts: 1 Member
    You should not feel dumb. The same thing is happening to me. When I add or edit food it does not show up on "myfoods". My current fix is to access through my app, hopefully they fix soon. Wasn't doing this last week
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited February 2019
    A few weeks ago the site was having issues, which were fixed, but before the site would work properly for me again I had to clear my cache and cookies and log back in. I use the free version of https://www.ccleaner.com

The above all refers to desktop.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    veganbaum wrote: »

Now I'm just feeling dumb. This doesn't make sense to me as to how you would access it in the builder. I'll just have to experiment, I guess. All these years with MFP and haven't had these issues. Now I'm really irked. Thanks for the suggestions.

It’s the same process for how you would use one recipe as an ingredient in another recipe. Not that you have that process internalized but the instructions for that are on the helpdesk link - which might make more sense than how we are explaining it. Plus I kept saying “my food” when it is making a “meal” like @PAV8888 said.

But if you find the instructions for how to use one recipe as an ingredient in another recipe-it’s the same process, you’re just creating a “meal” out of the food you just entered/corrected vs a serving of one of your recipes.

I hope that helps some?
  • veganbaum
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago the site was having issues, which were fixed, but before the site would work properly for me again I had to clear my cache and cookies and log back in. I use the free version of https://www.ccleaner.com

The above all refers to desktop.

I logged in on a different computer and tried finding two foods I know I made changes to. No luck! Thanks for the suggestion.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum wrote: »

It’s the same process for how you would use one recipe as an ingredient in another recipe. Not that you have that process internalized but the instructions for that are on the helpdesk link - which might make more sense than how we are explaining it. Plus I kept saying “my food” when it is making a “meal” like @PAV8888 said.

But if you find the instructions for how to use one recipe as an ingredient in another recipe-it’s the same process, you’re just creating a “meal” out of the food you just entered/corrected vs a serving of one of your recipes.

I hope that helps some?

I just walked through some of the steps. I think I may be able to get it, but it still doesn't help with being unable to find single ingredients that I've recently corrected. I appreciate learning this possibility, though!
  • veganbaum
    Tried all the suggestions. Clearly something else is going on. :/
  • PAV8888
    Are you doing this via app or desktop?
  • veganbaum
    Are you doing this via app or desktop?

Desktop. I submitted a ticket tonight. My old foods are still coming up when I add foods in my diary or recipes, but since this last weekend, if I edit an entry or add a new food, it's not coming up in the database or even in My Foods.