Need to lose 100 pounds

Options
Njkelley
Njkelley Posts: 57 Member
edited February 2019 in Motivation and Support
I’ve been here a million times before. I’ve started and stopped more times than I can count. I am most successful when I use MFP. I’ve tried every duet most recently keto. But can’t stick to anything and most success teaching macros and calories. I just can’t seem to get started again this time. Please help !!! I’m 5”2 and 46 and literally need to lose 100 pounds.

Replies

• Hopehaswings97
    Hopehaswings97 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I needed to lose 90 pounds, and I lost 26 pounds so far.

What helped me was still having some snacks as long as you stay within the calorie limit (going a little above 1200 isn't terrible once in a while).

Also, my doctor recommended having a small salad for dinner every night. I have been having lettuce, a little bit of cheese, 5 baby carrots, and 1 egg.

I cut out all red meat (only have turkey or chicken). I would also start drinking more water (although this is something I struggle with. I have increased my water by having 1 water bottle a day, but it still isn't enough).

I wish you the best of luck on your own journey to a healthier lifestyle, and I hope I have been of some help as you start out. :)
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    - choose a reasonable deficit that's manageable for you
    - get a food scale if you don't already have one
    - track accurately
    - get adequate protein
    - identify which macro helps keep you satisfied longer. For some it's protein, for others it's fat, for others it's carbs. Doing this will help with appetite
    - realize that foods are just foods, there are no 'good' or 'bad' foods unless of course you have a medical condition or serious allergies
    - eat in a way that is both a variety and a way that you can sustain long-term. Don't do something like keto or vegan if that's not something you can do literally the rest of your life
    - learn to make things like treats fit into your day. Some save a number of calories for an end-of-day treat, some people bank calories, some just accept that they'll end up eating at maintenance for the day
    - one mistake doesn't ruin the whole effort, don't think you've failed or just throw in the towel because of an off day. Log it, learn from it, move on. We've all been there
    - stay hydrated
  • renaerussell18
    renaerussell18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have tried soooooooooooooooo many diets and found that I do better eating what I normally eat, only a healthier version of it and just watching my calorie intake. Low carb? I'm not doing that forever! Keto? too complicated, low fat? Even Jennie Craig makes you have fat in your diet. So, I'm doing a reduced calorie by carb and fat reduction but not counting either of them. I discovered low carb tortilla wraps and enjoy my breakfast tacos and chicken fajita tacos loaded with bell peppers and onions. I love guacamole and buy it in the little self serve containers so i don't go overboard and instead of chips, I used crunchy veggies to dip! Its working for me so far and I haven't had any cravings! Keep posting and let your friends here encourage you! One baby step at a time! I have 70 pounds to lose, I've gotten 9 off so far and just started Feb 1.
  • melissaking572
    melissaking572 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Looking for support with keeping on my goals, feel free to add me!
  • robertaward872
    robertaward872 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my first day here, and I have no idea what Im doing yet. I am a mother of 2 kids, and I need to loose a little over 150 lbs. Advice would be great. Feel free to add me.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do it because I'd your life, because you can, because you're alive.
  • renaerussell18
    renaerussell18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is my first day here, and I have no idea what Im doing yet. I am a mother of 2 kids, and I need to loose a little over 150 lbs. Advice would be great. Feel free to add me.

This is a great place to start. Log in here first instead of FB or pinterest and read the boards, log in your food diary and get inspired by success stories. After my kids grew up, I let myself gain so much weight. Time for me to get healthy so I can see my grandchildren grow up! Even better, my grandmother lived to 92...enough to see her great-great grandchildren!
    You can do this! One little baby step at a time. You have heard it before, set tiny goals. I know I have failed when I told myself I was going to lose it quickly and set my standards too high. Now, I'm looking for two pounds at a time. One foot in front of the other. Don't alter your diet so extremely that it isn't something you can't do forever. I finally decided to eat what I want, but make healthier choices such as ie: I ate a whataburger last night but didn't have the french fries or sugary soda. It was very satisfying and I kept it in my calorie count. YUM!!!!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You’ve got to be mentally ready. I wasn’t mentally ready until age 59! Don’t wait that long. Life will pass you by and....quickly! Just think ahead about where you might be a year from now if you give yourself the gift of a healthy body. I lost 95 lbs in a year and a half. It’s sooooo worth it. YOU are so worth it!
  • torih941
    torih941 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also need to lose about 100lbs, it’s a scary thought, and it’s sometimes discouraging because it’s such a BIG number, but I try to remind myself that time is going to keep moving and I can either actively try to help myself or just wallow. My issue is I’m not the best cook and on top of that I’m a picky eater (which I’m trying to break out of), so it’s easy for my calories to skyrocket due to frozen meals. I’d like to become a better cook. I’m also starting a little slow and hitting the gym up a minimum of 3 times a week for 45 minutes. Good luck to everyone!
  • Deborah271
    Deborah271 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    HI everyone, I too need to lose close to 100 pounds, I'm very overwhelmed because I've been trying to do this for years now with no success. I'm 57 years old and I'm only 5'2 and I weigh almost 240 pounds. I've decided this time not to try and crazy diets, they don't work for me, I've decided to just focus on getting out of the 230's and next the 220's and so on. I would love some support buddies so feel free to add me and we can help one another