Pelvic Floor Gym Exercises?

Asking for my wife who has a weakened pelvic floor after our two boys.

She already does the usual exercises at home but was wondering if there are any gym based exercises she could look at?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

• KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Following. I also had 2 boys back to back and started going to the gym again and always looking for new stuff to try.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I don't think there is anything gym specific. Kegels and stomach vacuums are the best as far as I know and those can be done anywhere. And let your wife know she is not alone. Pretty much all of us that have had kids (and even some that haven't) have weakened pelvic floors. Heaven forbid we get on a trampoline!
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    I did some pelvic floor PT—that’s great if she has the opportunity. Basically kegel + glute bridge, and lying on floor with knees up (starting position for glute bridge): kegel + squeeze a soft ball bt your legs, kegel + press your legs outward against a strap/belt (not stretchy), clamshells, then wall squat + kegel.

My PT also advised against exercises that cause a lot of abdominal pressure/crunching (so no crunches/double leg lifts, etc until things are stronger).

If she’s interested in lifting, a lot of the exercises in Strong Curves can be combined with kegels and will strengthen the hips/glutes, which will help.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm currently in pelvic floor physical therapy. I'm going for the opposite issue, so kegels are a no-no for me.
    Although if she's looking to strengthen, I do think kegels are the way to go. There are a few different kinds of kegel exercises, which you can look up online. My PT also recommends daily / twice daily hip and lower back stretches to everyone (child's pose, thread the needle, butterfly, cat/cow, etc.).

Many of my therapist's other patients are women who are recovering from child birth. I would highly recommend it if she's having issues she can't resolve on her own.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I third a pelvic floor PT if she's not working with one right now. Because I never knew I was doing kegels wrong until I went to one. They can help you isolate the right muscles.