Apple Watch 1 vs 4

Options
I have recently upgraded my Apple Watch and am finding my new one records me burning a fair few more calories then my old one.

The 4 is meant to be more accurate due to having gps.

I have calibrated it

Replies

• vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    Even better:
    You can now wear it while taking a bath, or a shower ...
    Still not if intending to go to the bottom of your swimming-pool ...

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205000
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from Fitbit to Apple Watch Series 4.

The calories burned total is actually pretty close between the two. Over the years Fitbit models with HRMs have been accurate enough for me to lose/maintain/gain as expected based on the calorie burn (even with roughly 200 unlogged calories a day). The only thing I miss is the community on Fitbit.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I have a series 4 (no prior AW) and a whole load of other trackers. The workout specific calories on the AW tend to be on the lower side (which is in line with what works out to be “correct” for me based on my other trackers). My overall total calories burned (per AW) is on the high side (by about 20% - for example Fitbit and Garmin put yesterday’s TDEE at about 1900, AW says 2300). In fascinated by this. I would expect all the estimates to trend on the high side or low side.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have a series 4 (no prior AW) and a whole load of other trackers. The workout specific calories on the AW tend to be on the lower side (which is in line with what works out to be “correct” for me based on my other trackers). My overall total calories burned (per AW) is on the high side (by about 20% - for example Fitbit and Garmin put yesterday’s TDEE at about 1900, AW says 2300). In fascinated by this. I would expect all the estimates to trend on the high side or low side.

That’s definitely interesting. My Fitbit and AW were only 87 calories apart yesterday (AW was lower than Fitbit). They never seem to be more than 100 calories apart. Sometimes AW is higher and other times it’s Fitbit, but the numbers are pretty darn close for me.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I upgraded to the AW4 back in December from the AW1. There isn't a discrepancy between my November and December numbers.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’ve had one of every Apple Watch, and it’s been pretty consistent from the first to the most recent.