Fed up! Injured ankle

Options
Hi

I've injured my achilles tendon (I have achilles tendonitis, and currently in a support boot for a week!) and need to re-think my exercise programme where I can't cause any further damage. I was running approximately 3.5 miles 4 times a week, a zumba class and a strengthening work out once a week.

I've really noticed the difference in my body shape since I've been exercising more (the last 6-8 weeks) and I don't want to lose this. Can anyone give me some alternatives to my current programme which is perhaps low impact.

In all honesty, I'm completed gutted as I love running and zumba and the results it's given me.

I'm getting married at the end of November and really really want to look my best.

thanks for your help/support, it's much appreciated.

Replies

• QuestionableCarrot
    QuestionableCarrot Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel for you Nicks because I am in the same boat.

It so ANNOYING not to be able to work out BUT you must let your ankle heal and imagine how strong you will be again.

When my ankle/foot is better I am going to do some biking and wobble board exercises to get me back to full speed again.

Hope you recover soon
    x
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The only thing i can think is pushups.

Do them on your knees and knock out sets of 10 15 or 20. What ever you can manage. Rest. Repeat.

Do lots.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love to run too and I was really pumped to start insanity. I ordered it and then twisted my ankle the day before it arrived!

I knew that I had to let my ankle heal so this is what I have done:

1. Elliptical

2. Kettlebells - Use a heart rate monitor and watch how your heart rate goes to a high level. If you play with the intensity you can work out continuously for 20-30 minutes. It is like "running with your arms". I just googled Kettlebell workouts.

3. Sets of Pushups and Planks. It was hard at first but it really got me to concentrate on my upper body.

4. Lifting weights

5. After about 4 weeks I could actually do stairmaster.

It has been about 7 weeks and my ankle still hurts. But, I am cautiously trying to walk more now.

I will not run until It completely heals and to be realistic.. that may be 2 months out.

I told people that twisting my ankle was the best thing that ever happened to me because it has forced me to "mix up" my fitness routine and discover new ways to exercise.

I can't say enough cool things about kettlebells!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Have you been properly fitted for a good running shoe?
    I'd get the right shoe for your running style and go back to it.

I messed up my achilles when I started running.
    It was all because I rushed my miles in the wrong shoes.

I healed, I bought the right shoes and I've never had another issue with my achilles.
  • NicksWTB
    NicksWTB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    thanks for all your help and advice, it's much appreciated.

I've recently replaced my running shoes but I wasn't fitted properly for them. I have very high in-steps so did a lot of research about the best type of shoe for my feet. I got some Adidas Response which are comfortable and didn't seem to give me any problems.....but I suppose as they haven't been properly fitted, this could be a reason for the injury.

I'm going to do some strengthening training at home including push up's on my knees, stomach crunches and basically anything without putting any pressure on my ankle.

I might do some swimming once the dreaded boot is off and perhaps look at pilates/yoga once my ankle is recovered.

thanks for your support everyone :-)
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I got a stress fracture in my foot in February and had to wear the boot. I really didn't try to hard to find alternate exercise and all my progress stalled. I'm just getting back into the exercise now and I've been taking it slow so I don't repeat the injury. I do wish that I'd pushed myself to find something I could do to keep active.
  • NicksWTB
    NicksWTB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I got a stress fracture in my foot in February and had to wear the boot. I really didn't try to hard to find alternate exercise and all my progress stalled. I'm just getting back into the exercise now and I've been taking it slow so I don't repeat the injury. I do wish that I'd pushed myself to find something I could do to keep active.

I know exactly what you mean. I've worked really hard to get where I am now and I don't want this injury to ruin it all. I have been so motivated and have thoroughly enjoyed all the running and working out, I was sooooo gutted when I was told about the rubbish boot!!! It's only for a week - fingers crossed - but I know that I won't be able to go out running for a while, so I've planned myself some 'at home' training with plenty of stomach crunches.

I'm glad you're on the mend now...keep up the good work, it's worth it in the end :-)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    more pure lifting- less cardio jumping around