Weight gain calories help

Options
I’m 5,2.5106lbs female eating 2000-2200 cals a day as am losing around .5lbs a week. According to calculators this should be a surplus for my lifestyle but it’s not even maintenance apparently. I’m frustrated and think I’m needing to up my calories by 500 probs more because I’m losing weight quickly on this.
I have a food scale and measure accuracy. I sit all day in school but lift weights 6 days a week for 45min. I am getting strength gains but am actually losing weight, is this due to increased muscle so I’m burning a hell of a lot more at rest? I’m just nervous because all the TDEE calculators are screwed up as I’m losing at 2200cals and am 5,2.5. So increase slowing up to 3000?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    TDEE is a general measure made to give an approximate goal. There is a fairly wide margin of error on it depending on the individual person. So if you notice that 2200 are not enough for you, try to slowly increase and see how that works. I would start by adding maybe up to 2500 for a few weeks and see how that works for you, and increase from there if you are still not getting the results you are seeking.
  • katiemariieha
    katiemariieha Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you. In the past when I need to gain weight I had to eat 4000 calories/day and my maintenance was 3500, I’m not to jittery as a person so I might just have a fast metabolism? I am just scared to see my weight decreases and really want to at least find my maintenance then gain weight.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'2 and probably a hell of a lot older. I don't maintain on 2200 either - and if I want to gain I have to eat at least 2500. You may be underestimating your activity levels - when I started using a fitbit and eating back exercise calories it was easier to gain weight.
    Adding an extra 250 calories is fairly easy even for an under eater like me - a couple of handfuls of nuts and some full fat milk usually does the trick
  • tonyjnav
    tonyjnav Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Start high for about a week, for example, I ate 3000 calories for a week as well and weighed in every morning to calculate my weekly gain average. Realized my weight gain was too slow to my liking and bumped up to 3200~ and sailed for months with great progress. The point is, don’t 100% rely on your fitness watch. I have an Apple Watch and choose my own manual methods over anything. Weight gain and weight loss takes time. Be patient and efficient.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You likely have a higher TDEE - I’m 5’3” 158 and maintain quite happily on 2800 cal a day

I would up to 2500 and then monitor that for a couple weeks and then adjust again if needed