Anybody going vegan or vegetarian besides me? :)

Options

Replies

• phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian all of my life.
    I do not eat meat of any kind and I do not eat Fish .

I eat vegetables and Fruits and Dairy. I love my low fat Yogurt.
    For Protein, I eat soy, love MorningStar Farms.
    I also eat peanut butter.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    nope, I think its dumb
    I think posting pictures of your back is dumb.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    nope, I think its dumb

:laugh:
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
  • marcypantz1
    marcypantz1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 18 years now. Some of my favorite recipes in my rotation right now are: vegetarian chili ( full of fiber and protein - 2 types of beans, tomatoes, chili & bell peppers, and spices served with a sweet potato, regular potato or for a special treat - homemade cornbread), Tempeh and pepper tacos ( sliced up tempeh sautéed with bell peppers, chili peppers, onions and spices, served on a sprouted grain tortilla or homemade corn tortilla, topped with cilantro, lime, pickled onions and sometimes a little avocado), Mexican Succotash ( Corn, lima beans, tomatoes, onions, a poblano pepper and sometimes vegan soyrizo), Eggplant and peppers served with lentils ( an chopped up eggplant, 4 bell peppers, sautéed with coriander and cumin and 4 cloves garlic, lentils boiled with a vegan boullion cube)
    hope that helps!

30174266.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    nope, I think its dumb

Seems like many here disagree lol
  • lesliefence
    Options
    After watching the Vegucated Documentary on Netflix, I have slowly made the transitions into vegetarian and maybe one day vegan. I was surprised at how many things people buy everyday that they have no idea is vegan. It is hard for me to give up the dairy and eggs, but i do buy more organic based. You should check out the Earth Balance products. I love the vegan buttery organic spread and the peanut butter. They have lots of great recipes on their website as well.
  • lesliefence
    Options
    i've been vegetarian for 25 years. i've recently cut out milk and most cheeses. just need to ditch the occasional craving for eggs now, and butter.

CHeck out Earth Balances Organic buttery spread. It's soy based but tastes just like butter. You can even cook with it!
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    hey if ur easing into veganism try gardein its the best n daiya mozz cheese n silk almond milk does not have carragean so ya well good luck! im basically vegan but still eat dairy like greek yogurt sometimes n tuna or fish like twice a week! annies has good salad dressings 2 hehe
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My girl is vegetarian, so unless I cook myself (which usually isn't a pretty sight) my diet is pretty much veggie!

I did go full veggie for about 3 months, but I gave in one day when I was travelling and had eaten all day, and resorted to getting a Mcdonalds ( I know I know, worst option ever) but I also found that I was quite weak and tired from lack of protein, so I still eat chicken, and I love fish.

Anyway, I digress. If you can go veggie, go for it! Vegan would be too hard for me, cutting out dairy as well as meat wouldn't work for me, but each to their own!

Good luck!
  • BnnKrebs
    BnnKrebs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out the Engine 2 diet challenge or Forks over Knifes. Both have great recipes for a vegan diet. I did the challenge but I could not commit to the vegan diet but I did stay on a vegetarian diet.
  • goal85inmind
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 3 years and starting this school year I'm going vegan. My family are die hard meat eaters and so I do my own shopping and have my own collection of cookbooks. So many great vegan options out there
  • dofkaytaylor
    Options
    Hi Mary,

Sounds as tho you have lots of good tips.

I went vegetarian about 4 yr ago when I saw TV footage of the process of killing turkeys -
    a man was laughing and throwing them into a machine.
    I have been healthier since. I eat fish, and sometimes meat in a casserole or if nothing else is available.
    There is always enough to eat at parties/buffets/etc, I just have a couple of cheese cubes beforehand and enjoy all the side dishes.

I had trouble w high cholesterol and fat while I ate a lot of cheese. I track my cholesterol now and eat usually under 150 mg a day.
    Once you see the labels, it is not too hard.

My doctors and a nutritionist think my menus are fine. I need vitamin B12 and about 5 small servings of protein a day.

It's also fun to drive past beautiful farms and gardens and realize you're going to eat this - not something somebody will kill so you can eat. It is cheaper and lower on the food chain, so I believe it saves energy overall
    (Just eat the plants - don't pay to raise the cow, have the cow eat plants, get killed, refrigerated and shipped to your store).
    Conserves a lot of energy!
    There are bacteria on some plants, but you don't have to worry about every new E coli scare in hamburger.

Good luck, have a beautiful dinner!

D.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    After reading an article about Bill Clinton going vegan I decided to try it JUST THIS WEEK and see how it goes.
    Apparently clinton eats Salmon and Eggs once a week to get his nutrients in. Thought that was interesting.

ALWAYS the 'politician'! Don't the Democrats know they already have most of the Vegans? lol.
    Y'all don't hate on me---it's all in fun!
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    After reading an article about Bill Clinton going vegan I decided to try it JUST THIS WEEK and see how it goes.
    Apparently clinton eats Salmon and Eggs once a week to get his nutrients in. Thought that was interesting.

ALWAYS the 'politician'! Don't the Democrats know they already have most of the Vegans? lol.

The Dems don't have this vegan; I'm Libertarian. Which is probably even worse. :smokin:

That said, at the OP: I'm vegan, have been since April-ish, basically because I had to ditch animal products for medical reasons. But before that, I was ovo-lacto vegetarian all my life, having refused meat since my mother started feeding me solid food. It's a taste/texture thing for me, too, as opposed to an ethical thing, so I feel what you're saying. Happy experimenting!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Go Libertarians! and thanks for not taking offense! lol. you never know sometimes--some folks just too serious!

for some reason, I just find it funny that Bill is vegan....I always imagine a big juicy steak and a whiskey before the cigar....
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, slowly trying to be more and more vegan. Add me people. :D
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    By the way, as a way to get back into meal planning I have been greatly inspired by the cookbook series and online meal plans from Happy Herbivore. They are ultra simplistic with true health in mind (all vegan, no added cooking oils, only health fats from fruits, veg and seeds, no faux meats). Been having such fun with these basic meals after a long break from cooking. Also, search around youtube for meal ideas. I also like a magazine titled, "The Vegetarian Journal". Very lovely recipes in there with health in mind as well as the latest scientific based nutrition information relevant to vegans/ vegetarians. Shoot me a message if you want to talk.
  • rachelmuscle
    rachelmuscle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Vegan since January 16th of this year :)
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options

The Dems don't have this vegan; I'm Libertarian. Which is probably even worse. :smokin:

That said, at the OP: I'm vegan, have been since April-ish, basically because I had to ditch animal products for medical reasons. But before that, I was ovo-lacto vegetarian all my life, having refused meat since my mother started feeding me solid food. It's a taste/texture thing for me, too, as opposed to an ethical thing, so I feel what you're saying. Happy experimenting!

I'm a libertarian too :bigsmile: :