290llbs Unfit and looking to train for a triathlon.

Options
Hi Guys,

So here I am at my biggest 20st 10. Really unfit, fed up and looking for a change.

I have set myself a goal of doing a triathlon next year.

I am totally new to this and so looking for advice and help on the way.

Does anyone what to come along with me on this journey so we can help motivate each other?

Phil

Replies

• kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hey you, you totally got this.....i think your goal is awesome, that is how I lost my weight by setting a 5k goal...make sure you take it slow and build from there to try to prevent injuries. you will be in shape in no time:)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    If my shoulder didn't pop out everytime I swam I'd of been more than up for a triathlon. However similar to the person above I set myself a half marathon as goal (that was more once I hit my goal to keep the weight off), now having only started running probably from 1st January 2013 I'm training for a Marathon in October.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Thats an awesome goal.

I dropped 6 stone in going from obese to marathon in a year.

I'd do a triathlon but I can't swim.

You want this bad enough, you'll get it....feel to friend me.
  • CaeliGirl11
    CaeliGirl11 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi! I signed up at the beginning of the summer for my first tri and am doing it on September 7th. While I know you are looking to do yours next year I found a lot of support on MFP and also on beginnertriathlete.com. Its a great site that has some training guides (free and paid) that will help you train at your pace. I used the 13 week because that fit into my schedule for when I wanted to do my tri but there are some that are 20 week. However, they all suggest you start out being able to run (jog, whatever...cause I definitely don't "run") for 30 minutes, swim for around 30 minutes and can bike for some sort of time before you get started on the training schedules. I did a lot of my training at my local Y and found out they had a triathlon club so I joined there as well.
    Training for the triathlon has been tons of fun and I hope you have a lot of fun doing it as well!! Great goal to set and before you know it you'll have TONS of people to talk to! Just take it slow (I'm competitive at heart and that was hard for me) so that you don't injure yourself before you really get into it...check out websites like: beginnertriathlete.com, usatriathlon.org and trinewbies.com they are all great sites to start your training with tris.
    Best of luck to you!!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I added you! Triathlons are how I got in to this whole fitness thing and I kind of fell in love with them. They are so much fun and definitely an attainable goal.

Any one else is more than welcome to add me as well!
  • BigPhilOrk
    Options
    Thanks for all the messages of support guys. Good to know there are people like me on here who are willing to help.
  • FancyGirl7
    FancyGirl7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi! That's awesome that you are training for a triathlon! I did my first triathlon in 2009 and loved every minute of it! :heart: Then life happened...got out of shape and gained weight...and didn't even do one triathlon this season. :frown: I joined this site last night, and I'm hoping to change all of that! I'd like to drop about 30 pounds and get back into triathlons. Feel free to add me...especially if I can't figure out how to add YOU! Lol! Good luck on your training! You're going to rock that triathlon! I'm sure of it! :glasses:
  • josywosy
    josywosy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Awesome info here guys. I'm in a similar boat & was so glad to see so many people have been too :smile:
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    I did my 1st triathlon beginning of the year, 3months after having a surgery..I did very little training for the event - didnt even know how to do a transitiion :) .and whilst it was a short triathlon (200m swim, 3km cycle 1km run) and I came 2nd last I LOVED IT!

I decided this is what I want to do for the rest of my life! .I am going for my 2nd at the end of September for the same course as the 1st one - but this time around I have been training for it since May. :)

I work with a trainer 1x a week, do 2 cycle classes, do 2 functional strenght, run 3x750m per week, swim 2x1km and cycle 2x25kms a week :) I go through the whole tri set (200m swim, 3km cycle, 1km run) once or twice every month - just to get used to load :) I come from a swimming background so the swimming leg is the easiest for me, whilst the run is the worst :)

I think the most important thing in doing novice triathlons is to set your mind to being your best not better than anyone else..It is about you - and breaking your limits..not about how zou stack up against others :) Wishing you a lot of fun on your tri journey
  • rwc4912
    rwc4912 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sent you an invite
    I'm 43, 6'4" and started in april at 285
    Now down to 244 and shooting for the Tough Mudder in February here in Arizona.
    I can totally relate to where you are, feel free to add me.
    I keep my diary wide open, use a fitbit, and am a big believer in eating back calories after big exercise.

Good luck, and feel free to hit me up for anything.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'll send along a FR and if anyone wants to add me, please do. Check my profile, it's public. No BS here or applauding every time you you meet your calorie goal. Just honest support when needed and comradery anytime. Been doing this for well over a year now, hit a serious 4-5 month plateau but kept with it. I run obstacle course runs (mud runs) and love them. Training for my second marathon (my first was 25 years ago before I gained over 100 lbs). I would love to do a Tri next year too!