Steps Counter

Options
A quick question: so my steps counter will go to zero calories when I log other cardio like swimming, bicycle and on a treadmill. Any idea why and how I can correct that? Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    The adjustments are typically based on total calories burned; not step related.

Synced Device TDEE - MFP estimated burn = adjustment

MFP estimates your calories burned without exercise. When you log exercise those extra calories get added to the original estimate.

If your calories burned on MFP are higher than what your linked device is estimating you will see either 0 or it will take away the extra calories (only if negative adjustments are enabled).

Example:

MFP thinks a person burns 1600 based on Sedentary activity.
    Let’s say that person logs 200 calories burned through exercise.
    MFP now thinks that person has burned a total of 1800 calories.

Let’s say this person has an activity tracker linked and that activity tracker is estimating 1700 calories burned for the day.

1700 - 1800 = -100

So if Negative adjustments is enabled this person might lose 100 calories and if not, they will have an adjustment of 0.
  • markindia5135
    markindia5135 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks!
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I would add, if your linked app is something like MapMyRun:

When MapMyRun says you've burned say 200 calories for an activity, it's calculation includes all energy you've burned during that time, including the BMR (basal metabolic rate) portion that you would have burned to run your body even if you were lying in bed all day.

Myfitnesspal's calculation for calories you need to eat takes BMR into consideration too. Without adjustment, your BMR would be counted twice, (first by MyFitnessPal, and second by MapMyRun), inaccurately inflating the record of how many calories you've burned in a day, and misleading you into thinking you could eat more calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »
    I would add, if your linked app is something like MapMyRun:

When MapMyRun says you've burned say 200 calories for an activity, it's calculation includes all energy you've burned during that time, including the BMR (basal metabolic rate) portion that you would have burned to run your body even if you were lying in bed all day.

Myfitnesspal's calculation for calories you need to eat takes BMR into consideration too. Without adjustment, your BMR would be counted twice, (first by MyFitnessPal, and second by MapMyRun), inaccurately inflating the record of how many calories you've burned in a day, and misleading you into thinking you could eat more calories.

Oooooooo! That's why MapMy* calories are so high! It's obvious now that you say it.

But MapMy* products and MFP are both owned by UnderArmor, and if one is syncing MapMy* to MFP, one will get too many calories because MFP is already taking BMR into account >.<