Stevia...your thoughts

Options
glfprncs2
glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
I had this really long story typed out in order to get to my question, but I was getting on a completely different tangent...

Anyhow, over the past 18 months, I have totally revamped my fitness and nutrition, and one of the biggies for me was removing white sugar and artifiicial sweeteners from my diet (I used to eat a LOT of them). I've done a good job, but wanted to know your take on Stevia.

Any and all thoughts, good or bad, are welcome.

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It is a natural sweetener, derived from a plant, IMO a better choice than aspartame, splenda, or anything else--particularly for those wanting to avoid artificial ingredients. It is more flexible for use, since it comes in granulated form. There is also agave, but it is liquid, which can be limiting.
  • Natalie7227
    Options
    I am also on a healty plan right now and was told not to drink anything with an unnatural sweetener. The only ones that I'm allowed is the natural sweetener's which are Truvia and Stevia. Yes use them they will not hurt you. I used to be a diet soda finatic and am on Day #21 and no longer want any soda at all. The other sweeteners make you have dimentia as you get older and does not help people with diabetes and I am pre-diabetic.

Hope this information helps!
  • bbmumma
    bbmumma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would check what the GI of stevia is - and remember just because it is derived from a plant doesn't mean it is good or better. Sugar is derived from a plant - sugar cane. Also, some people don't like the bitter after taste of stevia.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    The jury is still out about whether stevia is safe or not. I agree, just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe or healthy. Personally i'd stick to using real sugar or honey.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I think Stevia is good and have been using it for the past couple of years...........

Truvia and the other one that is being sold on the sugar isle of the mainstream grocery and big box stores, I would stay away from due to over processing. That is just like the food manufacturers to take something healthy and ruin it.........

Personally, I like Sweet Leaf and I am actively looking for Stevia plants to grow myself and grind to powder to use for my household.

The bitterness comes from using too much Stevia at one time.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The jury is still out about whether stevia is safe or not. I agree, just because something is natural doesn't mean it is safe or healthy. Personally i'd stick to using real sugar or honey.

Just because the FDA doesn't want to acknowledge that it is safe, doesn't mean that it isn't. I mean, for real, it has been used all around the world for centuries............if that doesn't speak about safety and use of it, then I don't know what does.

If one is going to use real sugar or honey, it is only good for you in its most raw form.

I do use raw honey and raw sugar for some things for my husband, but not very often.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your insight everyone...while I'm working on my nutrition, my husband (affectionately known in our house as "Mr. Little Debbie," already consumes VAST amounts of sugar daily and doesn't think it's a big deal because he's 6'4" and a mere 180-185 lbs. I simply refuse to buy a lot of 'crap' anymore, and if I do make 'treats' (for example, my one summer treat is strawberry pie...and I've made it with a sugar substitute, but I'd like to try something more 'natural.')
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    I personally like the SweetLeaf Stevia liquid drops best. I use it in my hot tea and also oatmeal. I've tried some of the powdered brands and could not stand them. It's not sugar but the liquid Stevia is pretty good.
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options

Just because the FDA doesn't want to acknowledge that it is safe, doesn't mean that it isn't. I mean, for real, it has been used all around the world for centuries............if that doesn't speak about safety and use of it, then I don't know what does.

So have many extremely dangerous herbs and medicines...long term use does not indicate safety.