So for the last month I am hovering over 130 and just can't seem to break it.

Options
2»

Replies

• ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I guess I am just surprised since I weigh and log every single thing I eat. I am meticulous about it. The only thing I can think of is my body is retaining water for muscle repair.

I think I will leave my activity level alone for now.
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    I think your activity level is fine. I do the same for my activity level. Definitely get your logging on point and be patient. It really matters now that you don't have much to lose. It matters even more when you're strength training because you need several weeks to really show a trend. My weight fluctuates up to 4 pounds a week from water retention from my workouts. I'm up 2 pounds just from yesterday. One week of data collection isn't enough, and no amount of time will be enough if you aren't logging correctly.

Thanks for sharing your experience. So you think 10,000 steps not including exercise make for an active level?

I get 8,000-11,0000 doing daily activities and then walk on the treadmill to hit 10,000 if I'm short but don't include it in my workout.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I think your activity level is fine. I do the same for my activity level. Definitely get your logging on point and be patient. It really matters now that you don't have much to lose. It matters even more when you're strength training because you need several weeks to really show a trend. My weight fluctuates up to 4 pounds a week from water retention from my workouts. I'm up 2 pounds just from yesterday. One week of data collection isn't enough, and no amount of time will be enough if you aren't logging correctly.

Thanks for sharing your experience. So you think 10,000 steps not including exercise make for an active level?

I get 8,000-11,0000 doing daily activities and then walk on the treadmill to hit 10,000 if I'm short but don't include it in my workout.

I have my account set to active and synced with my fitbit. I get a minimum of 10,000 steps a day and always get a positive calorie adjustment at the end of the day. I eat those calories, and it's never stopped me from losing weight.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I read on another post regarding activity level.
    It’s the steps you get outside of your intended excersise. I have a desk job, on a rest day like today, I’m only at 7,000 steps. Not very active. On a day I hit the gym. Maybe walk out at lunch, I can hit 16,000 steps. At 7,000 I’m lightly active. At 16,000, when 6,000 was from running then I had another 10K, then that’s active. So mine changes daily.

If you’ve been in a prolonged calorie deficit, you could be dealing with metabolic adaptations.
    In a calorie deficit, you’re not gaining tons of muscle. Take pictures. Take measurements. Tighten up the logging. Weigh by grams for more accuracy.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you are having trouble with your calorie goal, reducing your activity level will not make it easier.

If you are sore from lifting, you are retaining water.

If you are a SAHM of 3, are you doing any unlogged snacking? I will unashamedly admit to eating probably a whole serving or more of goldfish over the course of the day, straight from the kids snack bowls. Licking the spoon/knife after making them yogurt or a PB sandwich, etc. Those add up.

I log every single piece of food and drink that I put in my mouth. I have one kid who feels like three at times. HA!

Sorry I thought I read 3! lol
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    If you are having trouble with your calorie goal, reducing your activity level will not make it easier.

If you are sore from lifting, you are retaining water.

If you are a SAHM of 3, are you doing any unlogged snacking? I will unashamedly admit to eating probably a whole serving or more of goldfish over the course of the day, straight from the kids snack bowls. Licking the spoon/knife after making them yogurt or a PB sandwich, etc. Those add up.

I log every single piece of food and drink that I put in my mouth. I have one kid who feels like three at times. HA!

Sorry I thought I read 3! lol
    No apology necessary!
  • mdreddie
    mdreddie Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    What's your body fat percentage? Do you really need to lose 5 lbs or have those 5 lbs already been replaced by muscle?

OP seems to want to lose the weight, so why question that?
    What's the point of settling for mediocre if you can go for the best? What's the point of settling for average level fitness if you can go for elite level fitness? What's the point of settling for a Master's in anything if you can go for the Doctorate?
    We have life now, and then it's gone forever, so why settle for less? Rather, do everything to be the best that you can be no matter what.
  • ladybug4233
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Just having a look at your diary to find where some extra calories could be

Cheerios - Cheerios, 1 cup - weigh solids, don't use measuring cups and spoons as this way is very inaccurate.
    Girl Scout Cookies - Thin-mints, 1 cookies - how much does one cookie weigh? It is not uncommon for prepackaged products to weigh more than indicated on the packaging and this can easily add those calories during the day
    Chipotle - Steak Fajita Meat, 4 oz & Chipotle Guacamole - Guacamole, 4 oz- it is not often that something like this would come out at exactly 4 oz
    Frito Lay - Lightly Salted Cheddar and Sour Cream Potato Chips, 15 chips - not all chips are the same size and there could be a considerable weight difference between 2 lots of 15 chips
    Tagalong - Cookie, 2 cookies - as per Girl Scout cookies

For your fresh produce, it is always advisable to check against the USDA website for accuracy. When I search for any fresh produce I will add the name and USDA to the search engine as this will often come up with the best results.

This could easily result in an extra couple of hundred calories a day extra to your body.

Then there are days when you aren't logging anything at all which can very quickly wipe out any deficit. I'd be really anal with your logging for a few weeks by weighing absolutely everything you eat, except for liquids, and checking the entries you choose against the USDA database or nutritional labels on the packages. Don't forget to include all the oil etc to cook with and added condiments.

This is very good advice. I do weigh out anything that is not a solid., including chips, cereal, oatmeal, etc. Thanks for the suggestions. I use very little oil and count every condiment.
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    So I put myself as lightly active and I'm going to be super anal about making sure I am logging and weighing correctly and not picking up food. As of last night it is TOM a few days early so Im sure that is part of it. Also, I am so very sore today. I started resistance training 3 weeks ago, do it 3x a week and still get to very sore. Will it ever stop? Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and supportive.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    What's your body fat percentage? Do you really need to lose 5 lbs or have those 5 lbs already been replaced by muscle?

Im not sure of my fat percentage. Since I have only added weight training this month I don't know if I have any new muscle weight.

If in a calorie deficit, odds are unfortunately high that you haven't added a measurable amount of muscle in a month, especially as a woman. However, just adding the weight training this month is the perfect explanation for a little more water retention, especially since you report muscle soreness.

While some of the suggestions above about making sure you're 100% on your logging are a good plan, it sounds like you're pretty much doing all the right things . . . except for the patience part.

Premenopausal women, especially, can't get a real insight on whether a new routine is working until after they've been through a full cycle plus a bit. If you're pre- or peri- that adds a whole other layer of potential scale weirdness that has zero to do with body fat.

Hang in there! :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    So I put myself as lightly active and I'm going to be super anal about making sure I am logging and weighing correctly and not picking up food. As of last night it is TOM a few days early so Im sure that is part of it. Also, I am so very sore today. I started resistance training 3 weeks ago, do it 3x a week and still get to very sore. Will it ever stop? Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and supportive.

Just keep it up! It sounds like you're doing well. Yes, the soreness should subside as you get more accustomed to the lifts. Do you stretch? I find stretching/yoga and walking helpful when sore.