Hey, you? WTF is your problem?

Options

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm here because if I don't log what I eat, I do overeat like most people.

Mind you, my over eating is probably to maintain.

I really really like BIG portions, this helps me use portion control.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I mindlessly eat when I'm not tracking my food intake. I eat when I'm hungry, stressed, frustrated, bored or for no apparent reason when I'm not tracking. When I track I'm more mindful of what I consume and I weigh if the food is worth it to put into my body (sometime a treat really is worth it) ;)

I also could move a lot less if I didn't wear my activity monitor and make myself do extra steps on the stairs at work and commit to exercising like I have.
  • mforman32
    Options
    My problem started from foot surgeries,I couldn't do anything so 3 surgeries and a year later I found I had developed eating out of boredom and emotionally eating to fill the void from not smoking.But now that I am allowed to use my exercise bike and prepare healthy foods with minimal pain,I am getting back to a healthier lifestyle.
  • dcdickerson2
    dcdickerson2 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wondered why I had such a problem with emotional eating when I am not particularly stressed, usually happy and a pretty well rounded individual... then Iearned a new term: Situational Eating. That's it! I eat it because it is available. In many settings - at work because someone brought it in and I want to try it, with friends, because we are all having a glass of wine and some appetizers, - at home because I'm alone and I know it is in the fridge or pantry and I like it and I love the mindless munching while reading. I'm a situational eater and I can find an eating situation almost anywhere, anytime.

So now I have something to get a grip on, and to try and do something about. It helps. Journaling my food daily helps. Keeping my hands and my mind busy doing something that makes it hard to eat at the same time helps. Planning my food day helps. Taking a deep breath, concentrating on the sights and sounds of the moment and waiting for the urge to pass helps.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Stress, emotions, celebrations, socializing. Heck, I didn't even have to have a reason. I just love food!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Two things for me: boredom and coping. Literally, if I stubbed my toe, next stop would be the fridge or cupboard. I see a therapist now and I posted before about something she told me during my last session- don't let yourself get too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. All eating triggers for me, including boredom.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    i'm not an office kind of person but i have to pay the bills. add to that the backasswards crap and bureaucratic nonsense of a state job and then you get frustration. then every month we have a potluck or something and a giant sheet cake. sugar/carbs light up my happy sensors and i can get through the rest of the day. it's like they only know how to reward us with food. and a paycheck. but if they could pay us in office potlucks they totally would.
    but then if i have a day at home where totally slack off, i feel like i've always got my head in the pantry looking for a snack. cheese and stuff i can take or leave- high carb sugary stuff will get me hook line and sinker though and in no time flat even though i know i will feel awful afterward.
    i have an incredibly active mind, but it seems like sometimes it sucks all the energy from my body to fuel whatever stupid idea or fancy i have going in my skull and no energy left to actually do anything about it. i'm trying to fuel my body the right way so i can start working on those ideas, but it seems like an uphill battle all the time. cravings and pitfalls. "just one won't hurt."
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I ate the most when I was on my own, I would see those couple of hours if "me time" as a treat and I would treat myself by eating all the bad things I didn't want my boys eating. Even thinking about it now gives me a happy inside glow (rose tinted glasses). Boys in bed, me on the sofa watching a good film and a ton of food. That was (still sometimes is) my idea of a relaxing, pampered night.

Now I paint my nails, snack on better options and tell myself no! I trod icing exercise helped, I didn't want to "undo" my hard work.
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    *introducing
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I found that when im trying to lose body fat I obsess over food . Eventually you have a " I don't care attitude" and you eat what you want because the mind is always so focused on food .

Get your mind on to other things that are worthy of your thoughts :wink:

this is me too...
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating. Trying to change my pattern from diving into the fridge to going for a run when *kitten* hits the fan.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, create recipes, and experiment with new healthy food combos. I eat when I get bored because food is one of my hobbies that is easy to revert too. I set aside creative time and then there is cooking time. They are different events otherwise I would be eating 24/7.
  • Jiggle_all_the_way
    Jiggle_all_the_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have a sugar addiction. When I'm off sugar (cane and corn) I have absolutely no problems with my diet/exercise anything. I get a little bit of sugar in me and my brain goes...ZZZZZZZIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG! WE WANT MORE!!!

I did it once for about 1.5 years -- and then I got my tonsils out and the only foods I could eat were sugary like jello and ice cream.

I'm on day two of no sugar. I can do it again. I know I can.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I actually genuinely want to know.

We're all here for a reason - we're heavier than we'd like to be. There'll be different reasons for each of us. For me, it's that I eat when I'm not hungry, and then spend a lot of time wondering if I'm hungry or not. I'm basically always thinking about food. If there's cheese or any other tasty snack-food in the house, I'll eat it even when I don't want it. Psychology reckons I'm trying to fill some void, which is probably right, but I don't know what that is (I'm actually a pretty happy, emotionally well-rounded person so I've no idea what it is I'm 'missing'!).

Have any of you found your void, or put your finger on the problem? Why do you eat too much?

xx

I just really, really enjoy delicious food and find pleasure in the act of cooking and eating. I also had no damn clue what a correct portion size was. :laugh:

Maybe the reason doesn't always have to be deep, dark, or complicated?
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Had this conversation with someone not too long ago when I attempted to order off the kids menu - usual portioning for adults is usually inappropriate for adults. The norm is designed with big in mind, and results in big as the norm. While convenient doesn't need to mean big, if you don't want big your options won't be as plentiful as they would be otherwise.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I actually genuinely want to know.

We're all here for a reason - we're heavier than we'd like to be. There'll be different reasons for each of us. For me, it's that I eat when I'm not hungry, and then spend a lot of time wondering if I'm hungry or not. I'm basically always thinking about food. If there's cheese or any other tasty snack-food in the house, I'll eat it even when I don't want it. Psychology reckons I'm trying to fill some void, which is probably right, but I don't know what that is (I'm actually a pretty happy, emotionally well-rounded person so I've no idea what it is I'm 'missing'!).

Have any of you found your void, or put your finger on the problem? Why do you eat too much?

xx

I used to be a boredom eater- I mostly have that under control now. My biggest vice is alcohol.

Hey, I'm 22, going through a divorce, and I'm able to experience the bar scene for the first time ever... what do you expect? :drinker:

Fortunately I manage my diet in such a way during the week that I don't gain from my weekend binges.
  • tbullucks06
    Options
    Stress, emotions, celebrations, socializing. Heck, I didn't even have to have a reason. I just love food!

Totally me too!
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options

xx

Yes, I'm addicted to food. I picked an awesome drug for my choice of addiction. What other drug do you absolutely have to have every day in order to survive?
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I'm a creature of habit. A few weeks ago, it was lunch at Paradise Bakery and a cookie pushing 300 calories -- pretty much every day. This week it's been Luna bars -- they were convenient when I had a calf injury, couldn't walk off my food, and didn't have time to go get real food, but as an everyday thing they're not for me... but now they're something I'm used to going for. These things are progress compared to the kind of habits I used to have, like a great big cup of ice cream practically every day or a couple servings of garbage from the vending machine at work while I pounded on the keyboard. Or like staying up all night and getting up too late to make myself a decent breakfast and getting to work late and stressed and ready to devour the first unhealthy thing I see... uh, yyyeeah...

So yeah, habit and routine are the problems that made me overweight. The solution is better habits and better routines. So far, so good.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love food and i'm inherently lazy.
    I still love food but now i love to exercise to....win win