Estate Agents.....Experiences? Opinions? UK mainly

Options
OllyReeves
OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
This is on the BBC website today, it's one of the subjects people can comment on:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22123316

Is there another industry out there that people are so violently against?

I've been an Estate Agent for some years now, and have worked at three companies. The first was a real den of iniquity and I was only there long enough to get enough experience to find alternative employment. The second one was a large national company, but I didn't like the ethics so I moved about 18 months ago to a single office independent, the man that owns the company site 10 feet away, and we run the place professionally and with ethics. I am completely happy with the morality of what we do.

I know people generally don't like Estate Agents, but I was pretty shocked to read some of those comments!

We operate in a not very affluent suburb of South West London, not many palaces here, and we deal with normal working man. We rarely have unhappy customers, and we exchange about 20 properties a month.

Does everyone have a horror story about selling their house? I was surprised as in my experience, although stressful, the process seems to leave buyers and sellers both happy!

Replies

• iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You're all horrid that's why you money hungry gits :D
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I like you work for an independent two office Estate Agency based though in the affluent Henley-on-Thames market. We are very ethical and base almost all our business on referral and word of mouth.

We deal with sales, lettings and block management and our commitment is to customer and client satisfaction. I know there are plenty of bigger companies with different work ethics out there but there are plenty of us who are proud of what we do and how we do it...

There is good and bad in all professions!! Keep doing a good job and you will gain a good reputation and sod what anyone else thinks.
    Jules xx
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    You're all horrid that's why you money hungry gits :D

I am welling up over here!
  • OllyReeves
    Options
    I like you work for an independent two office Estate Agency based though in the affluent Henley-on-Thames market. We are very ethical and base almost all our business on referral and word of mouth.

We deal with sales, lettings and block management and our commitment is to customer and client satisfaction. I know there are plenty of bigger companies with different work ethics out there but there are plenty of us who are proud of what we do and how we do it...

There is good and bad in all professions!! Keep doing a good job and you will gain a good reputation and sod what anyone else thinks.
    Jules xx

Nice to hear. We just do sales and lettings. The company has been going for 16 years, and a lot of our work is referral and repeat business. We have a great reputation in the town, and just build on that. I just wonder if other agents are really that terrible...maybe they are!
  • MORECHABLIS
    MORECHABLIS Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Where do we Build the Gallows for them to swing from? Line them up... Estate Agents... Telesales People... Bankers... Anymore?