Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Top 19 Nutrition Myths 2019

Options
2»

Replies

• Sophiepants33
    Sophiepants33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You guys, I learned something today. Fresh vs Frozen... I had to go look it up but yeah, that's awesome. I use frozen for smoothies all the time but fresh veggies always just taste better to me. Still, good to know though :)
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You guys, I learned something today. Fresh vs Frozen... I had to go look it up but yeah, that's awesome. I use frozen for smoothies all the time but fresh veggies always just taste better to me. Still, good to know though :)

2 or 3 years ago I spoke to a grocer who told me that canned veggies(the ones packed only in water with no additives) in a lot of cases are even better than "fresh". In most cases the vegetables are canned the same day they are picked, whereas the "fresh" veggies in a lot of cases are weeks old. I should clarify and say I am not saying the canned stuff is better, but maybe more fresh(because they are sealed in an air tight container) and definitely not worse.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »

2 or 3 years ago I spoke to a grocer who told me that canned veggies(the ones packed only in water with no additives) in a lot of cases are even better than "fresh". In most cases the vegetables are canned the same day they are picked, whereas the "fresh" veggies in a lot of cases are weeks old. I should clarify and say I am not saying the canned stuff is better, but maybe more fresh(because they are sealed in an air tight container) and definitely not worse.

I would tend to take frozen over canned, simply because veggies packed in water (and often salt) tend to get mushy. But definitely an alternative, especially in winter when most 'fresh' vegetables in the store are grown half a world away and are fresh in name only. :)
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »

I would tend to take frozen over canned, simply because veggies packed in water (and often salt) tend to get mushy. But definitely an alternative, especially in winter when most 'fresh' vegetables in the store are grown half a world away and are fresh in name only. :)

Oh, absolutely, I completely agree. Canned green beans get mushy and are not appetizing at all to me, but freshly picked I think they are delicious. I prefer frozen over canned any day.