switching off keto?

Options
weight has always fluctuated and been here for about 6 years, prob more. been doing keto since september and while I am not sure how much i've lost, i have gone from needing a new belt bc it was too small to needing a new belt b/c its too big. i'm debating switching from keto to simply counting calories again. i feel my keto weight loss is largely in part due to eating less and can recognize some of my bad habits that allowed my weight to increase after an initial 80 pound loss when i first started here where i just counted calories. I'm not terribly unhappy on keto, but not sure how much longer it is sustainable for me. I guess i'm looking for advice from people who lost some weight on keto, then went back to calorie counting. Anything helps. Thanks.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    it generally isn't a question of keto OR calorie counting. Keto is just one way of eating, people gain, maintain and lose on it.

to lose weight you need to eat at a calorie deficit. which for most people will mean some calorie counting (a few may be lucky enough where they don't "need it" but i don't think there are many of those).

If this way of eating (keto) keeps you happy, healthy and satiated, you can still eat keto and calorie count to ensure you eat at a calorie deficit. If this way of eating isn't one you can see doing for life then just do calorie counting with a way of eating that works for you for life.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could count the actual calories youre currently consuming on keto (follow your keto plan but weigh everything too), then compare the results with the calories MFP gives for your stats, then make a plan from there.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I appreciate everyone's thoughtful advice.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I lost and kept 17# off on keto last spring....my problem with it was that it was too restrictive (sorry I like wine and chocolate!) ....BUT that in mind I did keep the weight off for almost a year now which is more than I've done in a LONG time. I did jump about 2# when I went off (not counted in the 17) which is likely water from going off keto. This time....I'm doing my own version - lower carb, higher fat/proteins within my calorie range....that way I can still have the other stuff...I just have to allow for it....ie If I'm gonna have that glass of wine or piece of chocolate - then I try to eat little to no carbs all day and am good in evening. So far seems ok - need a little more time to see how it plays out - only been at it a week....LOL