Advice for beginner bike commuter

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    If you're carrying a heavy lock, you can lock it to the rack at work when you leave, and it will be there waiting for you the next morning.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The best safety advice is to always assume cars do not see you. People are distracted with all sorts of things when they are driving. My husband was hit by a car while on his bike. He swears the driver looked right at him. The driver later told the police she looked at him, but didn't "see" him. Always give cars the right-of-way, even if it should belong to you. Even if you are "right", the car will always win. I don't mean to be too negative or scare you, just a reminder to stay alert and be hyper-aware of your surroundings.

I used to always ensure that I made eye contact with drivers, but it just angered me that they’d look at me and then cut me off despite the fact that I had the right of way! I never trust drivers anymore because hey do always win. I have learned to take up more space on the road, because they will try to squeeze you over to the side no matter how much space you take. Therefore, I take more to begin with.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yes, take up more space on the road. But NEVER adopt the mindset that you have the right of way as a pedestrian or cyclist. You really don’t legally. The law requires the driver to yield, but no one has “rights” in traffic.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    rosiorama wrote: »
    The best safety advice is to always assume cars do not see you. People are distracted with all sorts of things when they are driving. My husband was hit by a car while on his bike. He swears the driver looked right at him. The driver later told the police she looked at him, but didn't "see" him. Always give cars the right-of-way, even if it should belong to you. Even if you are "right", the car will always win. I don't mean to be too negative or scare you, just a reminder to stay alert and be hyper-aware of your surroundings.

I used to always ensure that I made eye contact with drivers, but it just angered me that they’d look at me and then cut me off despite the fact that I had the right of way! I never trust drivers anymore because hey do always win. I have learned to take up more space on the road, because they will try to squeeze you over to the side no matter how much space you take. Therefore, I take more to begin with.

Yeap, second that. Take up space. In all fairness, there are considered and polite drivers out there, but the ratio of those to the *kitten* not in our favor. It's really important not to take anything for granted on the road, you can't be assuming that they see you and will let you safely cross or pass or turn. They are always come first in their minds and you are nothing but the obstacle in their way that doesn't belong on the road. I commute to work almost every day, i have reflective backpack cover, lights, and still come across people who almost hit me but either pissed that I'm there or claim they didn't see me. Prepare to deal with haters. I'm not sure if it's more bike friendly attitude in UK, here in US it's not. At least not where i am. But i love it too much to give it up. Also, lots of great advice above, i personally would take off padded saddle or at least the cover, if i see correctly? I myself prefer padded shorts, but minimum to medium, i would say. Too much is not good. Your bum will get adjusted after a week or two, don't worry about that. And you have pretty short commute. So be safe, enjoy. To me, it's the best part of my work day. Hope it works out for you!
  • sistrsprkl8097
    sistrsprkl8097 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think a padded saddle is fine. I used to commute on bike in Boston & plastered reflective stickers all over my bike & helmet. Didn’t care what I looked like, I never got hit! Now I ride to my kids school & got reflective things for the spokes. I use a panier & have found it really helpful for carrying stuff. Have fun, I love cycling 🚴‍♀️
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options

Just finished my first commute of the year (to icy previously, yes I am a wimp). Nearly got run over twice and was cut off various times. Can't stress the safety aspect enough.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

Just finished my first commute of the year (to icy previously, yes I am a wimp). Nearly got run over twice and was cut off various times. Can't stress the safety aspect enough.

I cycled most of last winter but we had way less snow than usual. This year? More snow and much colder. I’ve been a wimp too.

I have close call all the time and cycle really defensively. I half-jokingly call my cycle commute “my daily brush with death.”
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've commuted 3600 miles on my bike in the last 16 months. Most days I really enjoy it.
    My advice is to invest in comfortable, good quality clothing so you can bike in (almost) any weather (I don't ride in snow or ice). It really is miserable biking in the cold/rain with lousy gear. But with good gear, you can usually enjoy your ride!

And yes, safety is paramount. Find the safest route you can and assume the drivers are blind.