Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Eat more to reduce body fat? debate

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    I'm guessing they are young men - late teens, early 20's - doing a structured lifting program for the first time, so they have a good chance of getting some fairly impressive 'newbie' gains when starting out. I am willing to bet that the gains taper off as they keep with the program.

They are both early 20s yes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @AnnPT77 your theory sounds plausible for sure. I realise there's not enough information to go on, the conversation just got me thinking.

Plus it doesn't help I am trying to help my hubby lose weight (his choice I might add) and am monitoring his calories so he's eating at deficit, he's lost 6lbs to date (been about 9 weeks since he started) but for 3 weeks he has stalled entirely, which us long termers know happens but it annoys the heck out of him - any wonder when he hears my son talking about 'you can eat too little' he thinks he should be eating more!

• shingencom
    shingencom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's some peer reviewed literature, but you'll find it difficult if not impossible to get a definitive answer from an actual scientific study, from what I've seen.:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4683169/

I personally think the answer is different for different people. Try six meals a day for a month and see what results you get, then try three for a month and compare the results -- and whether you feel good, enjoy it and can sustain it. Then do the same with different caloric levels. You'll eventually find the combination that works best for you -- and even that may change over time. But you will likely lose weight along the way.
    Apps and wearables are only going to be able to give you rough estimates of what you need for your age, weight etc -- they can't adjust for your specific genetics, gut bacteria and other variables. I use them as guidelines and adjust as I learn more about what works best for me.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not a spring chicken anymore, but I can verify the concept of more food leading to better results.
    I have to eat at least at maintenance (for me) to get the energy for training hard enough to push my body into fat loss. Keeping in mind, that fat loss results in lower bodyfat percentage overall, but not necessarily in weigth loss. Well, right now it does..so it's a win-win for me currently.. B)
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    h7463 wrote: »
    I'm certainly not a spring chicken anymore, but I can verify the concept of more food leading to better results.
    I have to eat at least at maintenance (for me) to get the energy for training hard enough to push my body into fat loss. Keeping in mind, that fat loss results in lower bodyfat percentage overall, but not necessarily in weigth loss. Well, right now it does..so it's a win-win for me currently.. B)
    If you're losing weight, you're not eating maintenance calories.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I feel like it is almost impossible to debate this topic without actually seeing before and after photos, or seeing the scale weight for proof. Your son says that they are both visibly leaner, but that could simply be his perception. Also, you say they are the exact same weight, but that seems peculiar as well. As someone else pointed out, eliminating carbs would cause an initial drop in water weight and that in itself could make a person look leaner in ways. I would also expect the number on the scale to drop from the water weight loss. A couple weeks is definitely not enough time to show dramatic results from a recomp. The trainers theory on calories alone is enough for me to discredit almost anything else they have to say.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    1. If they are weight lifting now and weren't before, they will gain some muscle (even in a deficit, especially if newbies).
    2. If not accurately tracking calories, they may or may not actually be eating more than before. The stuff they cut out is usually very calorie dense (sauces) or under-estimated from mindlessly eating it on the side in addition to other stuff (bread).
    3. Calorie deficit can increase with more food. Not due to some 'starvation mode' thing, but because we tend to get lethargic and not move much if we under-eat so TDEE goes down (from NEAT and exercise drops rather then BMR difference).
    4. Their activity level has probably gone up and hence calories burned if they weren't doing any physical activity before (at the very least they have added weight training, which probably accounts for at least a few hundred extra calories burned per week, assuming it isn't replacing something else).
    5. Short term time span = much of the difference is probably a difference merely in water weight/bloating. (dropping the carbs and probably-salty sauces depending on what they ate before would create a large drop in water weight).

ETA: on the last one: ..or rather the water weight/bloating effectively 'moved' to the muscles (water retention from salty/carby food in those usual areas decreased, while water weight in the now repairing muscles increased).
  • h7463
    edited February 2019
    Options

I am indeed eating the number of calories, that are calculated as 'maintenance'. I didn't say that I was eating back any exercise burn. My BMR is around 1300, but I'm eating just over 2000, which leaves me with enough wiggle room to shed fat, but I'm never 'hangry'. Getting rid of some winter padding is just a bonus right now.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,078 Member
    Options

I am indeed eating the number of calories, that are calculated as 'maintenance'. I didn't say that I was eating back any exercise burn. My BMR is around 1300, but I'm eating just over 2000, which leaves me with enough wiggle room to shed fat, but I'm never 'hangry'. Getting rid of some winter padding is just a bonus right now.

Estimated maintenance is not necessarily actual maintenance.

If I ate my estimated maintenance calories (plus all exercise calories) I'd be losing weight steadily, not maintaining. (I'm maintaining well above the maintenance estimate, for 3 years now.) Maintenance estimates are essentially the mean of a statistical distribution. Most real people fall close to that mean, but some are further away than others.
  • magnusthenerd
    Options

Your maintenance calories are not a calculation, they're the calories that keep you at the same weight. The confusion seems to be that you're using something like MFP's terminology rather than how the term would be used in most nutrition and exercise literature. I don't think there's a conceptional disagreement about the facts.
    I would have phrased it that in order to have the energy to engage in vigorous exercise, you need to be eating calories at least consistent with your NEAT +BMR level. Or that your largest sustainable deficits are ones created from exercise.
  • h7463
    Options

Your maintenance calories are not a calculation, they're the calories that keep you at the same weight. The confusion seems to be that you're using something like MFP's terminology rather than how the term would be used in most nutrition and exercise literature. I don't think there's a conceptional disagreement about the facts.
    I would have phrased it that in order to have the energy to engage in vigorous exercise, you need to be eating calories at least consistent with your NEAT +BMR level. Or that your largest sustainable deficits are ones created from exercise.

I'm not the least bit confused about what my calories are. I've been training for a few years now, and...see profile pic...I'm fairly sure that what I'm doing works well for me personally, as far as my calorie requirements are concerned. Also, the little weightloss bonus will disappear in the very near future, as I'm getting fitter (in the middle of a fresh lifting program...). For now, I'm enjoying an early start on my bikini shape. Wooo...
  • magnusthenerd
    Options

I'm not the least bit confused about what my calories are. I've been training for a few years now, and...see profile pic...I'm fairly sure that what I'm doing works well for me personally, as far as my calorie requirements are concerned. Also, the little weightloss bonus will disappear in the very near future, as I'm getting fitter (in the middle of a fresh lifting program...). For now, I'm enjoying an early start on my bikini shape. Wooo...

I didn't say you were confused, I said the confusion. The way you are using the term maintenance comes off idiosyncratic to me. If we both use a word to mean something different, obviously we will both be confused about each other's meanings, right?