Whole chicken ?!

Options
NavaGunJara
NavaGunJara Posts: 4 Member
Is there a way i can track a whole cooked chicken ?!
should i remove all bones before weighing it ?!
And should i weigh chicken breast individually than the thighs?!
What about the rest of the meat ?
PS: i do live on fresh chicken breasts but i can get fresh chicken easily so that would save alot of time and money

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    Is there a way i can track a whole cooked chicken ?!
    should i remove all bones before weighing it ?!
    And should i weigh chicken breast individually than the thighs?!
    PS: i do live on fresh chicken breasts but i can get fresh chicken easily so that would save alot of time and money

Find an entry that matches what you're eating and how you're weighing (raw v. cooked, cooking method) and compare it to data on USDA site for appropriate entry.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=ca7e4bef-5cd7-4c64-8116-aad364cd5c6b&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=/ndb/search/list&qt=&qlookup=chicken,+broiler+or+fryers&ds=SR&manu=

You can weigh it with the bones, eat it, then weigh the bones and subtract.

You'll get more accurate information if you weigh the meat from the various parts separately, but if you're consuming all the meat from the chicken yourself, and doing it over the course of a few days (i.e., not eating the breasts today and freezing the thighs for three or four weeks from now), you could use an undifferentiated entry for chicken meat, such as

Chicken, broilers or fryers, meat only, cooked, roasted

and it should all even out.

I'm not sure I understand this question. Are you saying you're only eating the breast and thigh meat? (If so, why?) Or are you asking how to account for meat that isn't from the breast or thigh? (either use the undifferentiated entry shown above, or use

Chicken, broilers or fryers, light meat, meat only, cooked, roasted

Chicken, broilers or fryers, dark meat, meat only, cooked, roasted

etc.