Slowed weight loss after gallbladder removal?

Options
I have been consistently losing 2-3 pounds a week, until I had my gallbladder taken out a few weeks ago. Now, I’m only losing around 1 pound a week, sometimes less. I am still eating the same amount of calories and I have actually started exercising more here recently because of the slowing of my weight loss. Has anyone else had this issue after getting their gallbladder out?

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depending on your stats, 1 pound per week is likely a reasonable pace of weight loss. If you had only started trying to lose weight recently, your initial rapid loss was mostly water. It's extremely common to lose water weight very quickly at first, and then have your weight loss slow down. 2 pounds per week is an aggressive pace that's only appropriate for people who have a lot of weight to lose, and anything faster than that is not recommended unless you are under close medical supervision.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have been consistently losing 2-3 pounds a week, until I had my gallbladder taken out a few weeks ago. Now, I’m only losing around 1 pound a week, sometimes less. I am still eating the same amount of calories and I have actually started exercising more here recently because of the slowing of my weight loss. Has anyone else had this issue after getting their gallbladder out?

A few weeks ago? Define a "few" weeks.

You just had surgery, you need to give your body a chance to heal and repair itself.
  • wvucourt811
    wvucourt811 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lost 2-3 pounds a week from August to January, when I had surgery. So it’s been a good while I maintained that and just suddenly after surgery that stopped. I’m 7 weeks post op
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked you were cleared to exercise prior to 6 weeks post op. I had mine out back in 2012 and was pretty active at the time. Even though it was done laparoscopically, I still wasn't cleared to do anything beyond walk for 6 weeks.

Again, you just had surgery. Even at 7 weeks your body is still focused on repairing itself and healing. Trust in the process. It boils down to CICO. I lost weight at the same rate before it was out and after it was out.
  • wvucourt811
    Options
    He told me I could go back to the gym 2 weeks post op, I waited almost 3 till I actually did go back. If it’s not related to my gallbladder I wonder what changed 😥 healing would burn more calories than when your not healing I would assume
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    He told me I could go back to the gym 2 weeks post op, I waited almost 3 till I actually did go back. If it’s not related to my gallbladder I wonder what changed 😥 healing would burn more calories than when your not healing I would assume

Right after surgery, and as long as you're healing, you'll hold onto up to several pounds of water weight that your body needs for tissue repair.

After my gallbladder surgery, I stayed the course with my calorie deficit, held a higher weight for a couple/three weeks, started losing again at about the same rate . . . then got weak and fatigued because it would've been way smarter to eat at or near maintenance calories for a month after surgery to ensure best healing. YMMV.

If you're experiencing subtle fatigue from healing (so doing a bit less in daily life, and maybe getting less exercise intensity), then that reduced activity will slow down weight loss, however.

Good luck! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Could be a couple of things. For one, healing is going to come with inflammation and water retention that is going to show up on the scale. I fractured my patella a couple weekends ago and last week my knee was the size of a large grapefruit and I was up 6 Lbs from that alone.

For two, weight loss eventually just slows down and 2-3 Lbs per week is pretty fast...not something I would anticipate going into perpetuity. Prolonged dieting results in adaptive thermogenesis and weight loss will slow. Also, you say you're at the same calories? Have you never adjusted them during your weight loss? If you haven't, those same calories are not the same deficit they used to be.
  • wvucourt811
    Options
    Thank you everyone for their responses.

I meant since surgery my calories have stayed the same. I started at 2500 calories a day when I started and have went down to 1600 now
  • wifeofaveteran
    wifeofaveteran Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ok I’m at a plateau I’m in my 3rd week losing weight now this week I did not lose a pound .. I have normally for Breakfast 1 egg and egg whites with turkey sausage and lite toast .. or I have over nite oatmeal
    Lunch is usually grilled chicken and lettuce with light dressing and sometimes I’ll throw in 1/2 cup of chick peas
    supper is always some kind of meat with veggies and a small potato or 1/2 cup of rice
    Snack is a fruit
    I drink lots of water and exercise 3x a week
    What could I be doing wrong please help
    I was on a low carb diet for months but did not like it it was not sustainable.. I need something for life .. please any suggestions
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Ok I’m at a plateau I’m in my 3rd week losing weight now this week I did not lose a pound .. I have normally for Breakfast 1 egg and egg whites with turkey sausage and lite toast .. or I have over nite oatmeal
    Lunch is usually grilled chicken and lettuce with light dressing and sometimes I’ll throw in 1/2 cup of chick peas
    supper is always some kind of meat with veggies and a small potato or 1/2 cup of rice
    Snack is a fruit
    I drink lots of water and exercise 3x a week
    What could I be doing wrong please help
    I was on a low carb diet for months but did not like it it was not sustainable.. I need something for life .. please any suggestions

3 weeks really isn't a plateau, I would give it another couple weeks before deciding that. But if you don't want to wait that long, I would check logging. Are you weighing all your solids? Measuring cups for solids can and often are inaccurate, and while some people can get away with not weighing in the beginning it does eventually catch up. If you're not weighing your food, get a food scale and start. Accuracy is key.

As for food suggestions, just eat a variety of what you like in amounts that fit your calorie goals.
  • Debsmys
    Debsmys Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I lost 4 stone healthy eating and exercise over 2 years got gallstones gained 3.5 stone back. Had surgery in November 2018 and have gained another stone! I am devastated. I'm so upset and at my wits end. I'm 230 pounds heaviest I've ever been. I do 10000 steps a day personal trainer 2 hours a week an hour swimming an hour fitness class and an hour jogging a week and have lost absolutely 0 since December. I am in tears been dieticians thyroid test nutritionists. Diet is fine. Doctors no use they say I must be eating more than I think bla bla. Devastated my wedding is in 6 months and I'm huge. Tried everything no carbs fasting 800 cals a day. I could cry all this exercise to stay the same weight and everyone thinks I'm pighing out and lying about my diet.
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed March of 2017. Once that happened immediately ANYTHING I ate sent me running to the bathroom. So eating out at restaurants was over, eating at social events was done and I already didn't eat at work (just due to habit). Since starting Keto(July 1st, 2018), I haven't had to "run" to the restroom, be in the bathroom up to 6 to 8 times a day, no stomach bloating, no stomach pain or NO accidents whether in public or home. I am able to eat out at restaurants, go again to social functions, not have to sit close to bathroom areas (or know where they are) and not worry if I'm going to make it to the bathroom or not and I have regular BM as I did prior to surgery (not explosive #3) *sorry for the TMI*
    I just wanted to explain the seriousness this was for me.

Also I would like to note, I have had countless doctors appointments for this issue attempting to figure out what's the cause. (They don't know). I was also given medications for the issue, which taste awful and didn't work. Lastly I was told I was lactose intolerant and would have to stop all dairy products especially cheeses.
    On this WOE, (Day 297), I have eaten plenty of different cheeses with NO issues. The next step from my doctor was actually more in dept testing to maybe surgery.
    I never returned and just learned to deal with it on my own.
    Now I don't have that issue any more. Amazing what some types of foods were doing to my body and we are given countless/pointless medications when the root cause is the food we're eating.
    I feel amazing and truly thought I would have had to live with that issue for the rest of my life.

Started size pants 22 now currently in snug size 6😉

*sorry for long post, just wanted to share my experience*
  • Debsmys
    Options
    I have this issue 'm so upset and defeated. I lost 4 stone from 16.5 to 12.5 stone lowest I've ever been! over 18 months with hard work in 2017. I started getting bloated and pains and found out I had gall stones I had gained 2 stone over a few months without changing diet too much. Had gall bladder removed November 2018. Have now gained a further 3 stone!! I'm fatter than ive ever been!! I'm so ashamed. Doctors insist not gall bladder related ans that I'm being untruthful with good diary ans exercise. My diet is not perfect but I sont go wild!! To be 17 stone at 5 foot 7 you would assume I eat takeaway 4 daya a week crisps cakes etc. But no I am on 1600 a day ok at weekends I'll maybe cheat a bit a pizza or a meal out. I have an hour personal trainer Mondays jog 4k with work mates Tuesday. Wednesday 1 hour clubbercise class Sunday an hour swimming. I mean I wish I could do more but a 3 hour commute ans all that exercise I would hope to lose SOMETHING. I cry every time a friend says oh lost 4 pounds this week at weight watchers and then around a stone ans a half since January. I'm appalled I cant lose a thing everyone assumes I'm lying about eating!! I have read lots of forums saying people with gallbladder removed have this issue but no solutions. I'm gross upset embarrassed ans feel like calling of my October wedding as I'm so big!! Docs and dietician and blood and hormone tests all fine. They actually said well we cant magic ot off just eat less and so more exercise. Maybe I need to do a lot more exercise to loose but jeez how could I maintain doing more than I am! So devaated please tell me someone has a solution/ link to this being a common problem!
  • GallDiet
    GallDiet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Debs, sorry you are in such a bind. Have you asked to be refered to a dietitian? Losing lots of weight at more than 1-2lbs a week can cause the gallstones. Now the gallbladder is out firstly the body needs the right time, macros and nutrients to heal. Going too low cal, high fat etc and you can still upset the body's balance. A nutritionist will be able to help.
  • Debsmys
    Options
    Thanks yes been to dietician they put me on 1500 a day. And said my diet is fine and should be losing. I've never done so much exercise in my life never struggled to lose weight before! So upset. Embarrassed to go outside peep must think I pig out all day ans domt even try to lose weight. Ita devastating. I'm hideous! considering a bank loan for surgery abroad it's that bad!