Tips for insulin resistance? And without a gallbladder.

Options
I got some blood test results back yesterday, and discovered I have insulin resistance. Not so high as to be pre-diabetic, but it possibly explains some of my weight gain. My doctor has put me on metformin and a magnesium supplement.

I also have a sluggish thyroid for which she has suggested a thyroid support mixed vitamin supplement (contains Tyrosine, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Zinc, Iodine, Selenium, Vitamin D) and another blood test to see if I need medication.

I'm trying to learn more about insulin resistance and how to cure it with diet and exercise - would love any tips or ideas from someone who has been down this path before me. Any good books or blogs I should read?

I'm already eating a moderately low carb diet (under 100g carbs, from non-starchy low GI vegetables), which puts me into a low level of ketosis, and my doctor initally suggested I consider a full on keto diet (low carb high fat) to deal with the insulin resistance, however wasn't sure how a high-fat diet would work for me considering I don't have a gallbladder (my body will have a hard time digesting lots of fat). My inkling is that I shouldn't eat much fat OR carbs (no gallbladder; insulin resistance), which rather leaves me high and dry as these are the two main dietary pathways! Yeah, I'll probably have to talk to a dietician. Getting my head around it.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Could you get a referral to a registered dietitian?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Luciicul wrote: »
    I got some blood test results back yesterday, and discovered I have insulin resistance. Not so high as to be pre-diabetic, but it possibly explains some of my weight gain. My doctor has put me on metformin and a magnesium supplement.

I also have a sluggish thyroid for which she has suggested a thyroid support mixed vitamin supplement (contains Tyrosine, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Zinc, Iodine, Selenium, Vitamin D) and another blood test to see if I need medication.

I'm trying to learn more about insulin resistance and how to cure it with diet and exercise - would love any tips or ideas from someone who has been down this path before me. Any good books or blogs I should read?

I'm already eating a moderately low carb diet (under 100g carbs, from non-starchy low GI vegetables), which puts me into a low level of ketosis, and my doctor initally suggested I consider a full on keto diet (low carb high fat) to deal with the insulin resistance, however wasn't sure how a high-fat diet would work for me considering I don't have a gallbladder (my body will have a hard time digesting lots of fat). My inkling is that I shouldn't eat much fat OR carbs (no gallbladder; insulin resistance), which rather leaves me high and dry as these are the two main dietary pathways! Yeah, I'll probably have to talk to a dietician. Getting my head around it.

Your thoughts?

Second the recommendation to see a Registered Dietician.

I am T2Dm and eating a moderate carb diet (maximum of 150 grams of total carbs per day). I also had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and still have the fat processing issues some get with that. By increasing my exercise and decreasing my weight I need no medication and maintain blood sugar levels in the normal range.

There is no way I can do keto because of the fat issues. I do not need to do keto because moderate carbs are keeping my blood sugar in control. My macro percentages are 35% Protein, 35% Carb, and 30% Fat.

I did not read any books or blogs because I have found that the pseudoscience is big in all of them. I have found great recipes on diabetes and keto websites (even though I do not do keto). I got the macro parameters from my doctor (who is a Certified Diabetic Educator) and use the MFP diary and recipe builder to stay within those parameters.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    How are you are far as BMI and exercise? I'm type 2 and those are the two things which had the most impact on my insulin resistance when I was diagnosed. Limiting carbs will keep your blood glucose more even despite the insulin resistance, but not being obese and exercising regularly are the best tactics for reversing insulin resistance. Ideally you should be aiming for more than 150 minutes a week of cardio and at least two strength training sessions a week, and a normal BMI.

If you don't mind sharing, what were the blood tests in question?
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    How are you are far as BMI and exercise? I'm type 2 and those are the two things which had the most impact on my insulin resistance when I was diagnosed. Limiting carbs will keep your blood glucose more even despite the insulin resistance, but not being obese and exercising regularly are the best tactics for reversing insulin resistance. Ideally you should be aiming for more than 150 minutes a week of cardio and at least two strength training sessions a week, and a normal BMI.

My BMI is over 40, I have a fairly sedentary life nowdays (am an at-home parent and my daughter is doing distance education for medical reasons, which I have to supervise, so there have been many days when I haven't even left the house). Started the diet four weeks ago and have been working to get some exercise in daily even if it's just a short walk.

Test Results:
    SE-Insulin test 16.5 mU/L.
    SE-Thyroid Function. TSH 3.4 mIU/L, Microsomal.Ab 12 IU/mL, Thryroglobulin Ab 10 IU/mL

I'm doing my best to lose weight, and am losing weight each week, but from what I understand insulin resistance can make it harder to lose weight than for a healthy person?
  • Luciicul
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Your thoughts?

I am T2Dm and eating a moderate carb diet (maximum of 150 grams of total carbs per day). I also had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and still have the fat processing issues some get with that. By increasing my exercise and decreasing my weight I need no medication and maintain blood sugar levels in the normal range.

There is no way I can do keto because of the fat issues. I do not need to do keto because moderate carbs are keeping my blood sugar in control. My macro percentages are 35% Protein, 35% Carb, and 30% Fat.

I did not read any books or blogs because I have found that the pseudoscience is big in all of them. I have found great recipes on diabetes and keto websites (even though I do not do keto). I got the macro parameters from my doctor (who is a Certified Diabetic Educator) and use the MFP diary and recipe builder to stay within those parameters.

That's good to know that it can be done on that ratio (35% :35%: 30%), under 150g carb a day :smile:
  • Luciicul
    edited February 2019
    Options

Yes, I think I will have to look into it. The news of insulin resistance took a bit of processing, so I didn't think to ask my GP for this while I was in the appointment. She did suggest I check out a particular keto eating program, and gave me the name of a Naturapath she respects who is a practitioner of the program, but when I looked at the details of the program it has two options : either high-carb low-fat (HCLF), or low-carb high-fat (LCHF) so I'm not terribly confident it is suitable for me with the combination of insulin resistance and no gallbladder. I'll send an inquiry to them to see what they say.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Your thoughts?

That's good to know that it can be done on that ratio (35% :35%: 30%), under 150g carb a day :smile:

The weight loss and increased exercise are the main things that helped. Each person is different so it is a good idea to get a starting point for your macro breakdown and go from there.
  • rheddmobile
    edited February 2019
    Options

My BMI is over 40, I have a fairly sedentary life nowdays (am an at-home parent and my daughter is doing distance education for medical reasons, which I have to supervise, so there have been many days when I haven't even left the house). Started the diet four weeks ago and have been working to get some exercise in daily even if it's just a short walk.

Test Results:
    SE-Insulin test 16.5 mU/L.
    SE-Thyroid Function. TSH 3.4 mIU/L, Microsomal.Ab 12 IU/mL, Thryroglobulin Ab 10 IU/mL

I'm doing my best to lose weight, and am losing weight each week, but from what I understand insulin resistance can make it harder to lose weight than for a healthy person?

Insulin resistance itself doesn't have much impact, it's the high levels of insulin your body cranks out in response which can make weight loss more difficult by raising hunger levels. If someone is insulin resistant enough, as I was at the time I was diagnosed, that person will actually start losing weight, because the body can't digest food! I lost twenty-five pounds in a month while eating whole bags of candy because I felt like I was starving, which was literally true, because none of those calories were making it into my cells!

But thankfully you are a long way from there. If you eat lower carb as you are already doing, that should help with hunger cravings, and the good news is insulin resistance isn't the same as magic, if you eat fewer calories than you expend, you will lose weight.

Put in your goals in MFP and eat what it gives you for the setting of losing two pounds a week - that's what I did - and with a BMI of 40 you should be able to sustain that rate of loss, and it's a priority getting down to a healthy weight.

I sympathize with your home situation, being a caretaker for someone with medical problems is tough. Can you exercise in your home? A five minute YouTube video thrown in whenever you have a few free minutes can make a big difference. My secret weapon is an old stationary bike someone was giving away - it requires no setup, no travel, no special clothes, so there's no excuse not to use it. But whatever you are able to do and enjoy doing is a good start. And the more you do today, the more you will be able to do tomorrow.

Edit: read the post above - I also aim for about 150 g net carbs a day and it works well for me. But every diabetic has a different ability to tolerate carbs.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Yes, I think I will have to look into it. The news of insulin resistance took a bit of processing, so I didn't think to ask my GP for this while I was in the appointment. She did suggest I check out a particular keto eating program, and gave me the name of a Naturapath she respects who is a practitioner of the program, but when I looked at the details of the program it has two options : either high-carb low-fat (HCLF), or low-carb high-fat (LCHF) so I'm not terribly confident it is suitable for me with the combination of insulin resistance and no gallbladder. I'll send an inquiry to them to see what they say.

Your doctor recommended a naturopath? Geez, I'd be finding a new doctor. Google Brit Marie Hermes/Naturopathic Diaries to get an idea of what kind of "education" naturopaths get. And avoid them completely.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Without trying to be obnoxious: Do you know that you have difficulty with higher fat after gallbladder removal (i.e., had bad experiences), or is it that you're concerned about the possibility but aren't sure?

It can be a scary thing to experiment with, given the potential for a negative outcome, but I'll comment that not everyone universally has bad symptoms with higher fat consumption without a gallbladder. I don't eat LCHF, but have consumed truly substantial amounts of fat over a day or few, without negative consequences.

Maybe gradually shifting the proportion of fats in your eating would give you some insight without high risk, if you're uncertain?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Features of the gall bladder and the diabetic diet have in common are small frequent meals heavy with vegetables. The small frequent meals will keep the blood sugars stable all day.

I would say diet reforms can delay T2 diabetes, even for decades, but expecting a reversal is unrealistic.

What the hey? You’ll be learning to eat very well for a lifetime.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There's a book called Beck's Diet Solution or similar name that a lot of people on here have liked. Beyond that, don't make it too complicated. Begin exercising and set up MFP to help you lose weight, about 1lb week. I reversed prediabetes by walking, strength training, and losing about the first 25 of the 150 I had to lose.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    “This doesn't mean you're completely cured. Type 2 diabetes is an ongoing disease. Even if you're in remission, which means you aren't taking medication and your blood sugar levels stay in a healthy range, there's always a chance that symptoms will return. But it's possible for some people to go years without trouble controlling their glucose and the health concerns that come with diabetes.”

- WebMD

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/can-you-reverse-type-2-diabetes
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    “This doesn't mean you're completely cured. Type 2 diabetes is an ongoing disease. Even if you're in remission, which means you aren't taking medication and your blood sugar levels stay in a healthy range, there's always a chance that symptoms will return. But it's possible for some people to go years without trouble controlling their glucose and the health concerns that come with diabetes.”

- WebMD

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/can-you-reverse-type-2-diabetes

However, the OP doesn't have diabetes. Prediabetes may progress to diabetes but can also be reversible - that's one of the things that makes it not diabetes. Insulin resistance is a step before even prediabetes and is even more reversible.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I recommend the book Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a low carb to keto diet with the purpose of keeping BG low and insulin levels low. Great book. I was prediabetic and I followed it, and is made my BG basically perfect within a week.

Fung's Obesity Code is another low carb plan that uses fasting to improve insulin sensitivity. Fasting and IF may be a good way to improve insulin sensitivity without too high of fat level in your diet.

I suggest posting this question in the Low Carber Daily MFP subgroup. There are a number of members in there without a gallbladder who are doing fine with LCHF, keto, and even a carnivorous diet.

Good luck.