Gaining fat when consuming the calories to bulk

Options
I just learnt about eating a surplus of calories to build muscle and I have implemented that into my diet. I am currnently eating 3000+ calories a day and have observed more fat being accumulated around my waist rather than muscle. Is this something I should be worried about? Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? My diet is not too dirty and consists of a lot of protein.

I go to the gym twice a week to lift weights and I play soccer for about an hour on other days with 1 or 2 rest days a week. I also do pushups at home everyday.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, that's a normal part of bulking. It's why many people choose to do a cut directly after doing a bulk, so they can see all that muscle they put on!
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You need to be running a proven program with progressive overload
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    How much are you gaining per week?
    I would definitely get your training in order. Follow a progressive program, look into a full body 3x per week. 2x per week to gain muscle does not sound like enough stimuli so I would see if you can at least get another day in there.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    You will put on some fat bulking but you can limit that by ensuring you are training properly and not gaining to quickly. If your putting on lbs a week you are eating too much. A good rule of thumb is 250 above maintenance and adjust. Also ensuring you are training properly for a bulk.

Just for context my last bulk I lost weight on 3300 cals. I had to up them to keep gaining. I did put on some fat but not enough to worry me and I am now cutting to get rid of the fat I did gain.