Macro, Micros, and I Don't Knows!

Hello. I've tried losing weight many times with varying degrees of success. Usually I'm able to lose 10 pounds but then get stuck which is very frustrating as I have a lot to lose (I'm at 350 right now).
This time I've been doing my best for about 2 weeks and have seen no change on the scale. I'm optimistic since I know I've just started, but with how much I have to lose I thought I'd be down at least 1 pound.
I've always only paid attention to calories in and calories out. However, I'm wondering if it's time to start looking at those macros and micros that I see things about but don't really understand.
My question(s) I guess is could that really be what's always held me back? Or is calories in and out the most important? And I'm starting to understand what macros are but as far as using mfp, do I want to meet my goals they gave me? Or do I want to stay under them? Really any info about this topic would help. Thank you so much!

Replies

• Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Calories in vs calories out is the most important thing to focus on. If you're comfortable opening your diary then we could perhaps see if there's anything that's a red flag. And I second the question, are you weighing everything? Cup sizes and estimates are not enough.

Macros can help with weight loss in that many people find protein will help them feel more full up than say the equivent amount of calories in carbs but it varies from person to person and it isn't the most important thing to focus on when you're starting. Macros and micros are like fine tuning once you've got everything else sorted!
  • hypocacculus
    hypocacculus Posts: 68 Member
    Yes, diet really is about calories in vs calories out. The number one question is are you logging your food diligently, honestly and accurately with a scale? If the answer is no, don't be ashamed, we've all been there. But if not, start now, and use the MFP food log. And yes, eat up to your calorie goal; try not to go over it, that's all.

The food log also tells you how much protein/fat/carbohydrate/fibre you are eating and what your goals are. A sensible choice is to try to roughly keep to those proportions. No macro is 'bad' and there is no need to get unduly obsessed about food composition - just follow a healthy diet as recommended by proper dietitians, not reality stars or diet bloggers. You know the one, five a day, a little dairy, some fish, not too much red meat etc etc. This will set you up for healthy eating for the rest of your life. Weird diets and supplements will not.

However, if you cut calories without doing some exercise, you get to eat so few calories, your body will try and save energy any way it can. You'll sit about more; you'll feel colder; you'll crave food. For reasons nobody quite understands, if you do some exercise, not only do you burn more calories, so you can eat more, it helps you feel less hungry.

As an example, MFP has me on 1200 calories a day on the 'sedentary' setting. I'd go nuts eating only 1200 calories a day and I'd be chewing the carpet. Therefore, I do 400 calories worth of exercise most days which means I can eat up to 1600 calories per day. This I find is plenty as long as I stay off the booze and cake. I won't say I don't crave Haribo now and then but I'm rarely actually hungry.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Yes, diet really is about calories in vs calories out. The number one question is are you logging your food diligently, honestly and accurately with a scale? If the answer is no, don't be ashamed, we've all been there. But if not, start now, and use the MFP food log. And yes, eat up to your calorie goal; try not to go over it, that's all.

The food log also tells you how much protein/fat/carbohydrate/fibre you are eating and what your goals are. A sensible choice is to try to roughly keep to those proportions. No macro is 'bad' and there is no need to get unduly obsessed about food composition - just follow a healthy diet as recommended by proper dietitians, not reality stars or diet bloggers. You know the one, five a day, a little dairy, some fish, not too much red meat etc etc. This will set you up for healthy eating for the rest of your life. Weird diets and supplements will not.

However, if you cut calories without doing some exercise, you get to eat so few calories, your body will try and save energy any way it can. You'll sit about more; you'll feel colder; you'll crave food. For reasons nobody quite understands, if you do some exercise, not only do you burn more calories, so you can eat more, it helps you feel less hungry.

As an example, MFP has me on 1200 calories a day on the 'sedentary' setting. I'd go nuts eating only 1200 calories a day and I'd be chewing the carpet. Therefore, I do 400 calories worth of exercise most days which means I can eat up to 1600 calories per day. This I find is plenty as long as I stay off the booze and cake. I won't say I don't crave Haribo now and then but I'm rarely actually hungry.

A lot of good advice in this post.