Options
    Use smaller plates

^I do this, it is so simple yet so effective
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    It’s about learning self control

I’m interested to know why the post is woo’d. You do realize that she will forever be presented with food that is an oversized portion? Going out to eat , functions, work, weddings, etc
  • figyello
    figyello Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Try eating your measured portion, and then drink two big glasses of water. Or drink two big glasses of water 10 minutes before you eat. I get full quickly that way.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    One thing I always found is that fruits and veggies often do not make be feel full. It seems like I can eat a big salad, and then 60 minutes later, be ravenously hungry again. Try experimenting to find things that are low in calories, but leave you feeling fuller. For me, it's carbs.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are carbs. Or did you mean grains?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    I didn't really think about portions per se. I logged, then used my food diary to look for foods that were costing me relatively many calories compared to the tastiness, satiation, and nutrition I got from them. I'd reduce or eliminate those, and include something else I liked that better helped me reach my goals. That gradually led to a more satisfying, nutritious way of eating.

Physical volume of food is one thing that helps me feel satiated, but lots of veggies (cooked or raw) usually ticks that box well for me. Personally, I also need adequate protein through the day in order to feel full, and I think it's important for nutrition/health to get a certain minimum amount of fats. So, it all needs to balance out within my calorie goal.

Now in year 3 of maintenance, I find - if I need to cut back a little - that I can fit in my basic nutrition in fewer calories now than when I started losing weight around 4 years ago, and I think the physical volume of food may be greater than those early stages at a reduced calorie goal. (I'm vegetarian, ovo-lacto not strict - not that that really makes a difference strategically IMO.)
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Things that worked for me: at home, I use a luncheon plate that's smaller than a dinner plate and load that up. It looks like a full plate, and less food on there means smaller portions. One small chicken breast or a portion of salmon, the rest of the plate veggies. Don't eat a second helping. Find low calorie items and eat those. Two scrambled eggs equals around 140 calories and helps sustain me energy-wise better than a handful of carrots, to be honest. For restaurants, I ask the server to put half of the meal in a to-go box when I order the food. I eat the smaller portion right there, and take my box home to put in the fridge for the next day's lunch. That's two meals for the price of one, and I've automatically reduced my daily calorie intake by spreading it over two days.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    This was an issue for me, and not one that I found an easy way of getting over. Rather than just trying to "learn self control" I decided to try to work with my desire for a big meal rather than against it, and came up with my own variation of IF (if you need a buzz term to use). I'd have my morning coffee+creamer, then a small snack in the afternoon, and then a large dinner that left me feeling very satisfied. Afternoons were sometimes tough to power through, but knowing I'd have a big dinner when I got home helped me power through. Or, sometimes, I'd just be too hungry earlier, so I'd make my big meal my "lunch" and then wouldn't need much at dinner time.

Since then, my lunches have stayed small (but are actually a small meal now) and my dinners have shrunk a bit, and my appetite in one sitting has started to adjust, but it took probably close to half a year or so for my body to adjust.