Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Two or more diet sodas a day increase risk of heart attach or stroke

2»

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Yes, they are. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Is this one of those things like the whole processed meat and cancer thing where the %s sound all scary, but when you do the math your risk of cancer goes from 5% to 6%?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Seems like everything causes something bad.
    Chances are there are other behaviors nnot accounted for when they do these studies.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    I'm still going to drink diet soda. It's my one bad habit. I don't drink alcohol or even coffee, and I don't smoke cigarettes, but I've got to have my Diet Mountain Dew. I'd like to cut way down or eventually even stop, but one battle at a time.
  • Ed_Zilla
    Ed_Zilla Posts: 207 Member
    OP - I read that study and the one thing that they did NOT reveal was what the fitness level, weight, BP, etc. of the participants that developed the heart attacks or strokes. If most of their participants were obese already, that may have been the major contributor.

You may recall a study once upon a time that said saccharine caused cancer in lab rats...then they revealed it was equivalent to like 2000 diet soda's per day.

There was another study that said diet soda caused weight gain...Then it was revealed the participants thought they could have another doughnut or bagel since they drank a diet soda. The diet soda did not cause weight gain CI>CO did.

Bottom line is the studies seem to be pushing an agenda. I read all of them skeptically.

I also think if the study you mentioned was true, there would be warning labels on everything already.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I'm still going to drink diet soda. It's my one bad habit. I don't drink alcohol or even coffee, and I don't smoke cigarettes, but I've got to have my Diet Mountain Dew. I'd like to cut way down or eventually even stop, but one battle at a time.

If I had to choose one, it would be coffee. I don't even have to think twice.
  • lleeann2001
    lleeann2001 Posts: 412 Member
    I think anything consumed in excess could lead to negative health consequences, but I'm not a doctor or a scientist. I'm still going to drink Diet Soda because it keeps me from eating my weight in donuts and fries.

lol...DITTO
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

If I had to choose one, it would be coffee. I don't even have to think twice.

Agreed, coffee is the best.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Reminds me of a study I submitted showing that screening for cancer dramatically increases detection of cancer.

Invoking Mark Twain (via Benjamin Disraeli) I would say the falls under the "statistics" category.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    My husband mentioned this study to me on the weekend (because I have switched to diet coke) and my first thought was that most people who drink diet soda are probably overweight to begin with. So of course they would have more heart attacks and strokes. Now that I am fat I have switched to diet from regular soda - if I have a heart attack I doubt that will be the cause. :)

I've been normal weigh my whole life and have drank diet soda almost exclusively for the last 40 years (have cut back on it quite a bit in the last 10 years or so). Easy way to avoid empty calories.

I have found, based on my experience being around friends, co-workers, etc the ones that are normal weight and drink soda on a regular basis are diet soda drinkers.