I WANT A SODA

Options
124»

Replies

• CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I saw your post it reminds me of my story. I gave up soda on April 10th. I used to drink lots of it everyday and now I only drink water and flavored seltzer. Once in a great while I crave a soda but I have never had one. I am always afraid of what it might do to my digestive system since once I had an all natural snapple and my stomach was upset for a few days. My suggestion to you is stay away totally. It's not worth the work you have put into your new life. If you are having a time where you need support we are here for you!
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    A-If you go through the rest of your life and die without ever having had another soda, what will you have accomplished?

And 2-
    Uh huh, I see. Well you do seem to hold very strong opinions on some things and you state those opinions as facts in an extremely large number of topics and threads I've seen. As well, your opinions (posted as facts) seem to be controversial to some, so some background on your expertise and/or reasons as to why you hold these opinions could add to (or possible detract from) your credibility.
    Sorry but whether or not artificial sweeteners cause the body to store extra fat is not a matter of opinion. There is no evidence to show that such a thing actually happens. Because science.

I see.

I have some beautiful lake property in Florida that is an excellent deal you might be interested in.
    That wouldn't work either, because I'm interested in evidence, of which you have none.

Otherwise produce the evidence. I'm not talking about an article where someone describes a hypothesis that it might happen. I'm talking about evidence that it does actually happen.

I explained my position already, go back and read it. I offer no evidence. I have no credentials and claim absolutely nothing as a fact proven. BUT, a fact not proven does not equal a fact proven. That is simply flawed logic. So for those that come in here and say there is nothing wrong with it because it has not been proven and that is 'science', please offer your proof! That was all I asked.

And actually, I do have a degree in logic and evidence.

There have been numerous studies done (a simple google search presents articles and opinions on both sides based on these studies). I have read numerous and drawn my own conclusions based on advice and/or opinions of people I respect.

I think it's important for all of us to remember in any of these threads that statements made, especially claiming to be based on science and fact, should be taken with a grain of salt. They may or may not be accurate. One should always do their own research and/or speak to their healthcare professional.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Theres a ton of fighting going on in this thread. Big shock! Everyone should read this article. http://www.businessinsider.com/diet-soda-may-not-be-any-better-for-you-2013-7

It basically says that people who drink a lot of diet sodas encounter the same problems as those who drink regular soda and that fake sugars can trick the body into thinking it is getting energy when it is no and the body can become inefficient at metabolizing actual sugar because of it.

As with many things in science it hasn't been conclusively proven but it is worth a look.

Actually the article says that those who drink diet soda may encounter the same problems. as reg soda drinkers. "May" is the key word. Of course no one gains weight while on a calorie deficit, but there is science showing diet soda may make keeping a deficit more difficult. Again "may" is the key word.

Understanding the back and forth of scientific studies and learning how it personally applies to oneself is important. Foods simply do not affect everyone the same way.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Theres a ton of fighting going on in this thread. Big shock! Everyone should read this article. http://www.businessinsider.com/diet-soda-may-not-be-any-better-for-you-2013-7

It basically says that people who drink a lot of diet sodas encounter the same problems as those who drink regular soda and that fake sugars can trick the body into thinking it is getting energy when it is no and the body can become inefficient at metabolizing actual sugar because of it.

As with many things in science it hasn't been conclusively proven but it is worth a look.

Actually the article says that those who drink diet soda may encounter the same problems. as reg soda drinkers. "May" is the key word. Of course no one gains weight while on a calorie deficit, but there is science showing diet soda may make keeping a deficit more difficult. Again "may" is the key word.

Understanding the back and forth of scientific studies and learning how it personally applies to oneself is important. Foods simply do not affect everyone the same way.

A balanced perspective and statement.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Drink the soda
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sodastream is your friend!
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda like I used to. My husband and I almost gave it up cold turkey. About once a month I have a craving. I go ahead and do it. But just a can so I don't drink a whole bottle and feel miserable. After I have one I am good to go for awhile.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    YOLO, let yourself have a cold pop. Sweet Brown did, and she avoided a fire!
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I saw that Coke is now making mini cans of many of their products - could you find something like that, and enjoy a smaller serving size?

I didn't think of that! I went to the store & got a sparkling water to see if that would help.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    my opinion is to just have one and move on. i don't think depriving yourself of something you want so badly is good. i have coke zero or sugar free fresca when i have a fizzy craving. big deal. it wont kill you and it wont through off your routine. now if you need to chug a 2L bottle every day then that's different
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    IT IS DIET SODA!!!! Have some if you want it. It is not the devil that many people here make it out to be. I drink at least one per day and often times more. No big deal.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners confuse your body and make it store fat. Have a can of regular pop if you want one. I have a can of coke every day! It makes me happy :)

seriously....