Do you count all sugars or just added?

Options
The mfp food diary shows all sugars. I eat quite a lot of fruit and like veg such as carrots which are high in naturally occurring sugars. I also have a lot of milk and yoghurt. Today, the only added sugar I’ve had is 2 tsp honey (10g) yet my sugar intake is nearly 60g and it’s only lunchtime!

Do you count all sugars or only added?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fiber are tracked by default on the Printable Version of the Food Diary so I don't track them on the main FOOD page. I just toggle over to the printable version and look at it. I switched my FOOD page to track things that aren't on the printable page, so now I track Calcium and Iron on the regular page.

Here are the default columns on the printable page:

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't count any of them. Iron and fiber are more important for me.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,311 Member
    Options
    Count in what sense? Cal or sugars...

I personally count sugar/honey in coffee or tea I drink.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I don't count sugars because I don't have a medical need to do so.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Everything. Calories count no matter where they come from. If you have no health concerns regarding certain foods, you can track whatever concerns you. Set it up how you want it. There is no differentiating between naturally occurring sugar and added sugar on MFP.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I know I eat very little added sugar and don't care about total sugar, so I don't specifically watch sugar. I log at Cron when I log and focus on other things like calories, protein, fiber, potassium, and calcium, as well as omega 3 to 6 ratio and overall vitamins and minerals, which Cron makes it easy to watch.

I wouldn't worry about all of this when logging at MFP, too many entries are missing the relevant information and it's not easy to see on one page. When I was logging at MFP and focusing on weight loss I'd look at calories, fiber, protein, and glance over my sugar sources to make sure there were no surprises.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Everything. Calories count no matter where they come from. If you have no health concerns regarding certain foods, you can track whatever concerns you. Set it up how you want it. There is no differentiating between naturally occurring sugar and added sugar on MFP.

Exactly. In case my comment above was less clear, I track the calories in my sugar. Maybe I'll use a teaspoon instead of a scale, but I'll still log it. What I don't do is track my sugar intake on my diary page.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I track all my sugar in my diary. Like a leprechaun with gold coins. 😉