Counting Macros

Options
So I am taking a new approach to my diet. April of last year I started counting calories and protein. I was eating 1700 calories per day and 130-150 grams of protein per day. My main goal was to go from 230lbs to 195 lbs. I met me goal in 8 months and have been maintaining since Jan 1st. I am now wanting to get down to 185lbs. I am 68 inches tall believe I am around 20% body fat. I am wanting to start counting macros for my diet.
I have done a couple of calculators and they are saying that I need 190-230 carbs, 160-190 protein, and around 60 grams of fat per day. Is this accurate? I am not used to eating that many carbs per day and I am worried that will be way too many.
I usually workout 5 days per week with 3 days being 30 mins cardio followed by 45 mins of weights then 2-3 days of crossfit followed by 30 mins of weights. Like I stated earlier, I would like to lose another 15-20 lbs and could like to maintain most of my muscle I have. Any help is appreciated, THANKS!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Protein is for building and preserving lean mass. I think 130-200g of protein is fine for an active person.

Carbs or fat provides energy. Fat is essential so low fat is usually around 30%; those who go lower need to be aware of the effect that may have on vitamins and hormones that rely on fat.

Carbs are not essential and can go to zero, but 5-60% is more common. Low carb is typically under 100-150 g, and ketogenic is under 20-50g. Moderate carb seems to be under 200-300g, and high carb is above that (often over 40%).