Evil Hanging Leg Raises of Evil

Options
Okay, maybe they're not evil, but the program I'm doing calls for 5 sets of 10 hanging leg raises. My grip strength is, to put it mildly, not quite there. Should I:

a) Do as many hanging as possible (currently 4) and then finish out the set with leg raises on the bench

b) Do as many hanging as possible and then finish out the set on the captain's chair

c) Do as many hanging as possible in as many sets needed to get to 50

d) Do as many hanging as possible for five sets

e) Other options I'm not considering

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would do sets of 5 for now. Maybe do 5 x 5- or 3 x 5

Just cut the reps down... and or finish in the captains chair- I'm in pretty good shape and I've done 50 before and it was WICKED hard on my shoulders.

Just do the best you can. The work out police won't come for you if you change it up a little.
  • magpie_17
    magpie_17 Posts: 124
    Options
    I agree with JoRocka - cut down the reps, and finish in the captain's chair. Or, do them all in the captain's chair, except the last half-set - and try to push yourself to finish that half-set hanging.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Cut sets, captain's char, or (what I did), purchase slings (if your gym doesn't have them).
  • deanconnors3
    deanconnors3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you tried straps? I used to have the same problem, (actually probably do again now as I haven't been working my grip very much), I would bust as many as I could hanging not using the straps (mine were actually hooks, worked just like the straps though), then flip the hooks over and get the remainder with the hooks. After a couple of weeks my grip strength improved to where I could do without the straps.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I like this option: b) Do as many hanging as possible and then finish out the set on the captain's chair

But there are other ways to work those muscles like Incline hip raises, reverse crunches or using an ab wheel (my favorite and is also evil)