Lost 88.8lbs want to lose another 30 but having trouble?

Options
I joined weight watchers a year and a half ago and have lost 88.8lbs. But I have not lost any weight since march 23. I started out at 257.6 and now I am 168.8 and can not budge from there. Should I join a different program like jenny craig or nutria system. I know about platues, and im pretty sure they don't last 4 months. I work out 3-5days for over an hour. I really want to hit my goal of 140. Please give me some advice.

Replies

• diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Wow lost 88 lbs...that is awesome!! Congrats. Up your exercise, eat your exercise calories and drink that water. I have read different ideas about plateaus and one said to up your calories a bit for one week along with your exercise and then drop it back down to normal the next week!!!
  • Lacey9693
    Lacey9693 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I need to drink more water. I am straight diet soda 24/7. Not a big water or tea fan.
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    First off, congrats on the 88 lbs :)

Now, it seems you just have hit a plateau. You can break it by changing your exercise routine. Do something you usually don't do. Give your body something new that is unexpected.....
    The same with your diet. Your body got used to your food intake. There is something called zig zag dieting. You reduce your calorie intake one day and the next day you make those calories back up. I did that for 2 weeks plus changing my exercise routine and I broke through my plateau.

Now, here is a nice article for you to read in regards to your diet soda vs water. I encourage you to read it :)
    http://www.womentowomen.com/healthyweight/dietsoda.aspx

I can understand you are not a huge water person but your body NEEDS water. For your own health try to replace one soda with one glass of water.

Also, I am not a huge tea fan either but I drink one glass of this yummy lemon ginseng green tea (decaf) in the morning and at night. Supposedly green tea helps with burning calories. Maybe something you want to try too.....

Good luck :)
  • Olivia411
    Olivia411 Posts: 1
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds over last summer and am trying to lose more. Cut out the diet soda and switch to all water. It will really help. Because what diet soda cuts down in carbs and calories it makes up for in salt content, which will make you actually retain water.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Here are a few items that broke me of my soda habit. I don't have one but maybe once a month now!

Propel
    Crystal light - I like Raspberry Lemonade but there are TONS of flavors
    Arizona Green Tea mixes (canister of tubs). I get the Green Tea AND the Pommegranate Green tea and mix one tub of each for a gallon.

Now I drink alot of just plain H2O also - but I believe these would all suffice as water!

I would not go on those other diets you mentioned. Weight watchers does something they do not - let's you eat real food in real times and it helps you LEARN how and what to eat - the others have their own food. Just change it up and others have mentioned. Good luck and CONGRATULATIONS.
  • meokk
    meokk Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi Lacey,
    I'm at 178 now down from 225 heading to 135 and I've had good success with zig zagging calories.
    I often do to high cal days, 2 moderate cal days and 3 low cal days where I omit all forms of added sugar as well and that seems to work well for me.
    On the high cal days I also do high exercise, low cal days I usually don't exercise at all. It really seems to keep my body guessing and I expect that it would be difficult to plateau doing what I am doing.

Add me as a friend if you like and also I am part of a group on this board with a bunch of super supportive women who have helped me get to where I am today with terrific support and advice.
    Here is a link, anyone can join.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/106425-over-200-new-year-new-me-part-27?page=12#posts-1480175
  • rad007
    rad007 Posts: 26
    Options
    you are the queen 88.8 you got me beat................your b@d@ss
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You totally rock! Congrats on that loss and your commitment to exercise. I think it is the soda. Nix that soda. Let yourself have one occasionally. Also, check your salt intake and eat half of your exercise cals. You have some very good suggestions here. Changing up your exercise will help. Sometimes you have to "shock" or surprise your body to break the plateau. That doesn't mean starving yourself. Sometimes it means upping your cals or taking a day off of exercise. Try something and see if it works. Check your weight after several days. The scale gods will be smiling down on you soon! Hang in there girl!:flowerforyou:
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    i just watched a show yesterday on fit tv where a lady lost like 53 lbs and was at that point where she wasnt losing....anywho, they showed her some ways to hit over the slump by adding some weights to her routine and speeding up the walking and jogging to a higher pace.....she has now since then, lost 20 more lbs....i'd say, increase the workout, add something to it as well...good luck and congrats on the great success so far.
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    Options
    Just wanted to say- CONGRATS.. you look awesome! :smile:
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    GREAT job on the loss. That is awesome. :-)

I agree, shake up your diet & exercise a bit. I bet you're like most of us, we eat what we know and our bodies get used to it. You don't have to work out longer, but probably switch that up a bit too. Do you strength train? It is amazing what weigt training can do for your body.

And drink your water. Add Crystal Light if it helps you get it down. I do that when I get tired of plain water. My personal favorites are Cherry Pomegranate, Orange & Strawberry. I don't drink soda at all anymore. I keep a variety of CL's on hand and just add them when I want something besides plain water.
  • Lacey9693
    Lacey9693 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great comments. I think I am going to try to kick the diet soda. Starting tommorow. Its going to be hard . I love diet soda more than anything
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    WOW congrats. on your weight loss!!

Just something I read and thought I'd share with you.........

Why Diet Pop and Colas make you fat and sick .
    Many times people come in to train with me and ask what can I do to lose weight? One of the very first questions I ask is - Do you drink diet pop?

Effective weight loss starts with diet changes and exercise , one of the first changes is to stop drinking all diet pop all colas , all carbonated beverages - including diet pop , which is the worst . Get the Aspartame out of your diet !

Why? Diet pop is very acidic, with a pH of 1.5 to 2.5 - that is 100,000 times more acid that your body wants to be. Aspartame has a pH of 1.5! All life dies at a pH of 4.5.

Because of this your body creates fat cells to store the extra acid or in this case Aspartame. This is why people who drink diet pop just get fatter.