Going for marathon #3 - Training advice

Options
I swore off any race longer than a half marathon last year. And well, it happened. I got bit by the marathon bug and my husband and I are planning on running Twin Cities Marathon this year.

It will be #3 marathon for me, but I've ran over a dozen 1/2 marathons and way too many 5K's and 10K's to count.

I remember training for my last two just sucked. Seemed like all I did was run run run. I don't know if it was the training plan, the weather, or being heavier than I am now.

If I recall correctly, I used Hal Higdon for both marathons. Does anyone have a recommendation for a training plan for me to research? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, Twin Cities is such a fun marathon! I've done it the past three years and am planning on doing it again this year.

I don't have any great advice for a training plan because I typically use Hal Higdon and it does feel like a lot of running. Have you seen his "Senior" marathon training plan? It's not just for seniors, it's for people who do want to minimize the number of miles they're doing each week. Disclaimer: I've never done it, but I've done a lot of his other plans and been pleased with the results.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/senior/
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, Twin Cities is such a fun marathon! I've done it the past three years and am planning on doing it again this year.

I don't have any great advice for a training plan because I typically use Hal Higdon and it does feel like a lot of running. Have you seen his "Senior" marathon training plan? It's not just for seniors, it's for people who do want to minimize the number of miles they're doing each week. Disclaimer: I've never done it, but I've done a lot of his other plans and been pleased with the results.

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/senior/

It was my first and I had a complete blast. I ran most of it with a friend and we got to mile 18 and thought "Oh, we're already 18 miles in? "
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I'm currently following Hal's Marathon 3 plan, which has 3 runs a week and a bunch of cross training. It gives more wiggle room than the plans that have you running 5 out of 7 days, and I can follow cycling/hiking/lifting plans at the same time as marathon training.
  • AmyHammons1
    AmyHammons1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Do you have any run groups in your area? Joining one was very intimidating for me at first but it has made all the difference in my training. New routes twice a week, surrounded by like minded and positivity folks, and they often though in fun incentives. Marathon training can be tedious. Running with a group makes the time fly. Plus, that will knock out 2 of your runs.