Intermittent Fasting

Options
Hey, does anyone here do intermitten fasting or OMAD?

Replies

• emlapierre
    emlapierre Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Very helpful
  • Seabassx2
    Seabassx2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I’m on my third week. I eat supper by 6:00 and then don’t eat anything until lunch the next day
  • emlapierre
    Options
    Awesome:) I do OMAD 3 times a week and the 16:8 on days I work out
  • emlapierre
    Options
    Yes, but I mean longer periods then just 8 hours some do 16:8 18:6 or 20:4
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I used to do IF. I realized I wasn't hungry in the morning, but I was eating breakfast out of habit, and could really use those calories better later in the day. So I started doing 16:8 without realizing it was a thing. It was a big help to control my appetite! Then I started waking up hungry and after struggling through it for a couple of weeks, I started eating a little something in the morning again and am now back on a more spread out eating schedule.

Just make sure you are still eating the right amount of calories, because that's what controls your weight. I can't imagine doing OMAD myself because there is no way I could eat enough protein and fiber in one meal without wrecking my digestive system :lol: but I know some people find that doing all their eating in one satisfying sitting works perfectly for their appetite and preferences.

I think you'll find a lot of MFP long-timers do or have done IF in some form, they just don't make a big deal out of it, it's just when they eat. Good luck :drinker:
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I used to do IF. I realized I wasn't hungry in the morning, but I was eating breakfast out of habit, and could really use those calories better later in the day. So I started doing 16:8 without realizing it was a thing. It was a big help to control my appetite! Then I started waking up hungry and after struggling through it for a couple of weeks, I started eating a little something in the morning again and am now back on a more spread out eating schedule.

Just make sure you are still eating the right amount of calories, because that's what controls your weight. I can't imagine doing OMAD myself because there is no way I could eat enough protein and fiber in one meal without wrecking my digestive system :lol: but I know some people find that doing all their eating in one satisfying sitting works perfectly for their appetite and preferences.

I think you'll find a lot of MFP long-timers do or have done IF in some form, they just don't make a big deal out of it, it's just when they eat. Good luck :drinker:

IMO, this is the best take on IF so far... Bravo!
  • azzeazsaleh5429
    azzeazsaleh5429 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yes 18:6 and workout fasted feels great
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Whats funny, is that, I too, could not eat all that in one sitting, unless, its cake. Then I can eat 4000 calories easy.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have done 16:8 for a few years now. Honestly I've always been barely hungry in the mornings so it just makes sense. A cup of coffee and about half a gallon of water are all I need before I workout around noon, workout and break the fast.
  • Nicole77sweet
    Nicole77sweet Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi I do OMAD. I eat dinner around 6PM. I've been OMAD for a month now. I worked my way up to it. Started with 16:8, then 20:4.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I try not to do it intentionally unless I have a high calorie meal planned. I end up doing it some days because I eat breakfast whenever I'm first hungry, and that ends up being late sometimes. With my weird hunger and satiety signals, doing it intentionally and often (other than when I'm naturally not hungry) messes with me. IF delays my already delayed satiety response so I eat more than I need to because I feel hungry, then when satiety hits (sometimes a couple of hours later) I'm really overfull. I don't mind being overfull, but it's something I've worked so hard to unlearn and I don't want to fall into that habit again. I only allow myself to gorge occasionally.