Elevation Training Mask

Options
doorki
doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
Anyone have any experience working with these?

ex: http://www.amazon.com/Elevation-Altitude-Simulation-Training-Mask/dp/B0096JXTL8/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1376403070&sr=1-2&keywords=elevation+training+mask

I am looking to get more out of the small amount of time I have to exercise so I was looking to use one of these. Any real world experience?

Also, before anyone says anything, I only have a limited time to workout because my career in super villainy is really starting to take off....as long as the Batman keeps away....

Replies

• doorki
    Options

Thanks, Cliffy! I read the reviews but I was trying to get some more info because Amazon reviews are renowned for being stacked by sellers.

And do you really want to cross a Batman villain in training?
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Forgive me, I did forget who I was talking to.

Carry on Hero!
  • doorki
    Options
    Any real replies? lol.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I use it. And really enjoy it.
  • doorki
    Options
    I use it. And really enjoy it.

Thanks. Does it increase the burn of your workouts?
  • doorki
    Options
    for the west coast folks.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    guy in my gym was benching the other day wearing one of those things. for the life of me i can't figure out the benefit unless you're getting ready to compete at altitude
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Has it been proven to even do anything?
  • tunedvwgti
    tunedvwgti Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are worth it. it won't improve your workout quality because it limits the o2 intake preventing you from hitting higher intensities which would benefit you more than wearing the mask... shorter amounts of time, mean you need to be hitting the highest intensities possible to get the most bang for your buck.

At altitude, there is NOT less oxygen as a percentage, but the actual pressure is less. (the percentage is the same.) You might as well train with a scarf covering your mouth.

Also, I've trained and raced at altitude, and as a sidenote, these do not help with Altitude, at least in my opinion and/or experience...which includes a lot of clinical research on altitude tents, masks, etc.

Best of luck in training
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I already live and train more than a mile high in elevation...that thing would probably kill me.
  • yarneycat
    yarneycat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good grief, why! Living in high altitudes makes exercising harsh on the lungs, friend. As far as I knew the only advantage to training at high altitudes is that when you go to lower levels you do SLIGHTLY better in races and such. I don't believe you burn more calories or anything like that. So you're just adding pain to working out. Oxygen wants to be your friend!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I already live and train more than a mile high in elevation...that thing would probably kill me.

Same here. Think I'll pass on this fad...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Can I just point out, that a breathing restriction, in no possible way, replicates being at altitude?

Just think for a minute.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    In all seriousness though...I do not believe this post to be serious....
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    The benefits of training at altitude are the result of the kidneys responding to the reduced oxygen pressure "over time" to increase their production of EPO. A week to 10 days following that, your body will have responded to these higher EPO levels by increasing the production of red blood cells. It is this increased red blood cell count that produces performance benefits, and many of these benefits are experienced just by living at altitude (training not required).

Optimal benefits of altitude training come after 4-6 weeks at altitude, although some benefit is experienced after only 1 week. I have not seen any data that would suggest that reducing available oxygen only during workouts would produce the desired benefit. Now if you wore that mask 24/7, I could see it.

Assuming it worked though, there are some other considerations to keep in mind. Iron supplementation would be advised to assist in the increased production of hemoglobin. And the kidneys will not increase their production of EPO if you are even slightly sick with a cold or the flu.
  • doorki
    Options

It is/was partially serious. I was dismissing it at first but then I thought I would see what some of minds here thought.

I did some other reading and while most agree that it does not mimic the effects of high altitude training, some insist that it does act as training for your diaphragm by restricting airflow (much like a scarf around your face).

Either way, thanks for the input.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

It is/was partially serious. I was dismissing it at first but then I thought I would see what some of minds here thought.

I did some other reading and while most agree that it does not mimic the effects of high altitude training, some insist that it does act as training for your diaphragm by restricting airflow (much like a scarf around your face).

I do admire the fact that you are training to be a super villain. Much more interesting than the run of the mill 5K or something...
  • doorki
    Options

I do admire the fact that you are training to be a super villain. Much more interesting than the run of the mill 5K or something...

Thanks. I like to learn skills while I train rather than just get on a hamster wheel. Another fear I had about this is that Bane appears to use them and I don't want to get bulky like him.