Fitness vacation advice

Options
Hello! I’ve been back on MFP for a few weeks now, trying to lose 20lbs gained, mostly due to inactivity (developed severe plantar fasciitis). I’m back in the gym now, doing a progressive overload lifting program 3x per week. I also walk my dogs daily.
This summer I will be going on an active vacation that will include hiking, horseback riding, whitewater rafting, etc. I want to be as fit as possible to enjoy this! I’m going to add in walking at an incline to my current regimen. When spring comes I can get some hikes in. I’m wondering if there’s anything else I should do to prepare? Keeping in mind any high-impact activities are sadly out for me. Thanks!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Rowing at the gym.
    Kayaking outside.
    Cross country skiing.
    Cycling.
    Climbing flights of stairs.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Walk. It’s easy but I always forget how much I walk when on vacation and then am super tired/sore. Also invest in good shoes, wear them before your trip so you break them in.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Rowing at the gym.
    Kayaking outside.
    Cross country skiing.
    Cycling.
    Climbing flights of stairs.

I tend to aim for vacations that include similar activities.
    Those listed above are great.

I also include Pilates and yoga for balance and flexibility, and swimming, because so many of our activities include water and I’m a lousy swimmer.

One thing I didn’t do, and oh how I suffered after a trek that was steep enough that we had to lead the mules down, was work on decline walking/hiking. If you can’t get out and do hill ascent and descent find a good few flights of stairs (parking garage) to practice on.

Just brought up the descent part because it was something that never entered my head.

Cheers, h.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You will want some training activities that include core and upper body for rafting and riding, so something in addition to walking would be great.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    One generally builds fitness for an activity best by doing the activity.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I think rowing and stair climbing will be very helpful. Thanks!
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    One generally builds fitness for an activity best by doing the activity.

I don’t have access to horses, whitewater rafting, etc. in my day-to-day life, hence the question:)

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Another great way to work on descents is to hike but more specifically, find a trail in your area that is labeled primitive. It won't have switchbacks on the hills. This will actually hello with functional core strength and functional fill body strength as well help you with things like balance.