Squatting Heavy without a rack

Options
I use the gym at work (it's free so I shouldn't complain) but they dont have a squat rack and so I've been using the rack on the bench press table but it's awkward to get on and off with the bench between my legs and I'm not comfortable adding weights. I am currently at 70lbs but want to build up to heavier.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think there is any safe way to do heavy barbell squats without a rack.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping the answer wasnt buy a gym membership :(

I love my free gym and it's suited me fine until starting to lift.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    there's different variations of squats you could do. hack squats and jefferson squats you leave the bar on the ground. also goblet squats you only need one dumbell, and there's also dumbell squats, where you hold the dumbells on your side. sissy squats you don't even need weight. all of those methods hit your quads
  • TRW012448
    Options
    Try using dumb bells. Hold one in each hand and squat. You're at 70 lbs., that make each dumb bell 35 lbs. You can work your way up from there. Think of it as improving your grip while working your legs. When you run out of dumb bells or can no longer hold them, then you have a problem.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Front squats, jefferson squats, hack squats, zircher squats. Then there's a thing where you load the bar up and lever it on your back. I forget what it's called. Looks like death on discs though.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Could you:

1. Ask for the addition of a rack
    2. Throw some money together with other people and get a rack
    3. Buy your own rack and offer it to the gym *
    4. Ask someone about it, who might tell you they have a spare one, or planning on getting one

*It seems a stupid thing, but if its cheaper than a gym membership, it might be worth it. Again, I would ask colleagues to throw some money towards a rack. With 4-5 people paying it's not a huge amount of money.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Right before joining my gym I was lifting from home (I still do if I can't get to the gym because its by my bf's place and nowhere near mine).

Either way I found this helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK1cphPDCFQ

Idk if it will help you, but take a look :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I was really hoping the answer wasnt buy a gym membership :(

I love my free gym and it's suited me fine until starting to lift.

Ask them if they are planning to get a rack. You might not be the first to ask. I actually quit a gym because they didn't have the equipment I wanted, and it transpired that they were in the process of acquiring said equipment. Alas, too late--I found a gym with three squat racks, a power cage, and an Olympic lift platform with bumper plates. I can do all the lifts I want and not have to figure out how to do a hack squat without dislocating my shoulders or bumping my *kitten* with the bar.

If you are seriously interested in lifting, you will either find a better gym or set one up at home.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat...at home and at work...

Here are a few suggestions...

http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-power-rack.html for a hand made rack...(gonna make my husband make it for me)

or

Don't clamp the weights on (suggestion from a lifter) that way if you get in trouble you lean and you are safe...

The other suggestions here I like too...holding them in front esp.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    there's different variations of squats you could do. hack squats and jefferson squats you leave the bar on the ground. also goblet squats you only need one dumbell, and there's also dumbell squats, where you hold the dumbells on your side. sissy squats you don't even need weight. all of those methods hit your quads

True, but pile/goblet squats max out for me around 100 pounds due to grip, and I can do a lot more than that with a back squat. OP can definitely do squats without a rack, and definitely hit her quads, but I'm not sure I consider that "squatting heavy." In my opinion, a rack is a necessity for that goal.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

True, but pile/goblet squats max out for me around 100 pounds due to grip, and I can do a lot more than that with a back squat. OP can definitely do squats without a rack, and definitely hit her quads, but I'm not sure I consider that "squatting heavy." In my opinion, a rack is a necessity for that goal.

You can do dumb bell squats if they have a decent array of free weights at the gym. If you're finding grip strength to be an issue, you could try using straps. By the sound of the weight you're squatting now, it doesn't sound like it would be an issue for some time yet. But it you find it uncomfortable doing that then you may have to find another gym.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I put the barbell on 2 bedside tables, then get the barbell on my shoulders from squatting between them. this means doing half a squat before I start my set of squats. It's less than ideal and I wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't want to make excuses for not getting on with a decent lifting programme. I'm doing stronglifts 5x5 and I'm saving up for a power cage. I use the same bedside tables to support the barbell and catch the barbell for bench presses, and at the start of OHPs - I have to do like a mini clean to get the barbell onto my chest to start OHPs.

Also i have rubber plates so if I drop the barbell on squats or something it doesn't break my floor

It's far, far, far better if you have a power cage or at least a squat rack (power cage is better).
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

You can do dumb bell squats if they have a decent array of free weights at the gym. If you're finding grip strength to be an issue, you could try using straps. By the sound of the weight you're squatting now, it doesn't sound like it would be an issue for some time yet. But it you find it uncomfortable doing that then you may have to find another gym.

^^^ The person you are responding to is posing in front of at least 135 lb in her pic. I don't think you could do an effective goblet or dumbbell squat with that amount of weight.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Safety first
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

^^^ The person you are responding to is posing in front of at least 135 lb in her pic. I don't think you could do an effective goblet or dumbbell squat with that amount of weight.

I wasn't responding to her, I was responding to the OP. I didn't want her to think that it's impossible to dumb bell squat 70 lbs. Which is what she stated she is currently squatting.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options

I had to reply just to say thanks - because this made me smile :) I think the bar was loaded with 145 in that pic, and you're right. I definitely can't do that with dumbbells. That's not to say that I don't include dumbbell squats in my routine, but there are always secondary to barbell squats.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips & videos

I'll try the dumbells for now - Question should i keep them at waist level like a do with lunges? or lift them onto my shoulders?

Also plan on stopping by HR and see if they would put a rack in (I work in a hotel and our staff gym generally just gets the guests leftovers)

I do know 70lbs isnt a lot to most, but it feels pretty darn heavy to me, I'll get stronger but for now that's heavylifting.
  • ShannonMpls
    Options
    I do know 70lbs isnt a lot to most, but it feels pretty darn heavy to me, I'll get stronger but for now that's heavylifting.

70 is great!. But you might top out with your current set up fairly soon.

Keep up the awesome.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I am working out at home and I'm up to 85# on the bar, also from the uprights on the bench. It is still do-able, with the seat of the bench raised to an incline. But I'm going to have to figure out something else eventually. I think I'm going to ask my man to build me a rack, because I'm not going to spend $$$ to buy one.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and don't have room or the money for a squat rack, so I do hack squats. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/BBHackSquat.html

It's probably not ideal, but I'm very happy with the results.