Exercise through soreness

Options
Sup peeps..

So I'm in the middle of a workout program and have some major soreness with my legs. I last worked them out on Sunday. Well today legs is back on the schedule. Whats the general rule of thumb with soreness and working out through it?

do you just stretch alot and then go all out or still rest until the soreness gets better?

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Depends on the soreness. If I'm just a little stiff, but mostly okay, I'll usually keep at it. If I'm in actual pain, I'll rest or do something less intense.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are different kinds of soreness. A sharp pain or sudden weakness can mean injury and working through the pain will only make it worse. Recovery could be delayed months.

DOMS can be worked through. The best prevention is good stretching before and after every workout. I suggest you modify your workout; make it a little easier until this is worked out.

https://thischangedmypractice.com/move-an-injury-not-rice/
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    If it's an ache or just sore from DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) then working through will most likely ease it. In fact my trainer gets me to run the day after a long run (when I'm almost crying with pain) to ease things off.

If it's an injury pain, and you will know if it's an injury, the pain is generally short, sharp pain, then rest (ice/elevation(