Summary Of My Half Marathon Training Plan

Options
introduction
I recently completed the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Half Marathon Training Plan. I did not compete in any races, but I followed the plan (for the most part), and my final scheduled run was 13.1, which I did a 13.57 mile run.

About me
I am a 61 year old male. Height 5’8”, weight 185 lbs., MHR 170 (Garmin), LTHR 147 (Garmin), RHR 58 (Garmin). I served 6 years in the army from 1983 to 1989.

4 years ago I was obese (about 240 lbs.), and so out of shape I could barely walk 1 mile at a slow pace. I smoked for over 40 years, and was smoking about 3 packs a day. Back then my RHR was in the high 80’s, and my waist size was a 40 (now 32).

I developed diverticulitis and wound up having to get surgery to remove an 8 inch section of my colon. During the pre-testing for the surgery, they uncovered 2 additional problems. They discovered that I had had a heart attack at some point, and that I dad developed COPD. They still did the surgery but told me that I had to start exercising, lose a lot of weight, and quit smoking, or I would not be around much longer. They recommended walking for exercise.

I started walking every day (sometimes multiple times a day). After I could walk a few miles, I started power walking. I could get my HR in zone 4/5 from power walking. After about a year of that I worked my way up to about 10 miles, and a speed up to about 4.5 mph.

After about another year I could not get my HR up high enough from power walking anymore, so I decided to try running. I ran in the army back in the 1980’s, but only because they made me. The first time I tried running I could only run for about 30 seconds, and I hurt my knee right off the bat, so I had to go back to power walking (more like power limping) until my knee healed. While my knee was healing I started watching YouTube videos on how to run, and watched other people run while doing my power limps. I started running again but at a much slower pace. I kept randomly increasing the distance, and in about 6 months worked my way up to being able to run 5 miles at a slow pace. I started thinking that I wanted to improve my pace so I started doing intervals. That turned into doing mostly intervals and less long runs. Over about the next year and a half, I did 3 mile runs maybe a few times a month, and only a small handful of 5 mile runs. I considered a 3 mile run a long run, and a 5 mile run a really long run.

The plan
I heard of running plans before, but never really followed any plan. I have no problem mustering enough self-discipline to get a good workout in, but I just did it at random going by how I felt that day. I have been getting at least 1 activity in per day, 7 days a week, even if it’s just a 1.5 mile recovery walk.

Someone on this forum recommended the running plan to me, so I took it as a challenge, and after changing the actual plan a couple times I settled on the Novice 1 Half Marathon Plan.

Following the plan
I had a hard time following the plan at first, but after getting my kittens busted several times by forum members who are much better runners that I am, I eventually learned to follow the plan. At first it was hard for me because I am an old stubborn x-army guy, and all that slow conversational pace running made me feel like a sissy.

I learned that if I want to run longer distances, I have to run slower for longer to build the endurance in my legs, and not be so concerned about getting a good cardio workout. After forum members busting my kittens, I learned that lesson and started following the plan the best I could.

The plan was pretty easy until I started getting to the runs that where longer than 5 miles, but the way the plan was laid out made it doable, and challenging.

Set backs
The last day of week 10 I was scheduled for a 9 mile run. I noticed that the next week went to 10 miles and the last week went to 13.1 miles. I wanted to try for 10 miles, and then 11 miles the next week so the last week would be less of a difference. That was probably a mistake. I did run 10.2 miles, but it took a toll on me. I don’t know if it was just that run, or an accumulation of all the runs up to that point, but my first run of week 11, I had trouble running a single mile. At that point I listened to my body and also took advice from the forum to take it easy for a week or 2, and then continue even if I had to extend the plan.

In a way I felt like I failed because I had made every single run up to that point. But the forum gave me encouragement, and hey… I did run 10 miles.

Completing the plan
For the final 2 weeks of the plan I just did either run/walk sessions or just walk sessions. I felt like I recovered pretty good by the last day of the plan, so I went for the 13.1 mile run on the last day. A forum member recommended using energy gels, so I picked some up the night before the run. I took 1 gel before I left my apartment to walk to the lake (about a mile or so) and start my run. I took another before I started the run. I know each lap around the lake is 1.7 miles, so I knew I had to do 8 laps (13.6 miles). I kept 3 gels in my pocket and took 1 gel ever 2 laps. I not only made the 13.1 miles, but finished the 8th lap running, so I ran 13.57 miles.

It felt easier than the 10 mile run for some reason. I think it was taking 2 weeks to recover in combination with using the gels. On that 10 mile run, somewhere in the last lap or so, I felt like I got hit by a truck all of a sudden, but I just forced myself to finish. My legs felt clumsy like I was going to trip over my own feet.

What I like about running plans
Two main things come to mind.

They force you to focus on leg endurance for longer distance, and that in turn improves pace at shorter distances.

They force you to follow a schedule is such a way as to gradually increase distance without injuring yourself.

But, as many have told me many times… you gotta follow the plan.

What I don’t like about running plans
The things I don’t like are the same things I do like, so it’s a double edge sword. I never followed any plan before, so this is just my personal battle that I need to work on. I never liked following any schedule and just added distance to my runs as I felt like doing so. Having a schedule telling me I have to run x miles on x day stresses me out to some extent, but at the same time, when I hit that mark, I am glad that I did so.

I also did much more intense but shorter cardio sessions, and training at much lower intensities for longer periods of time, I feel like I am not getting a good anaerobic benefit. But now that I can run over 10 miles, I can start working on pace and get in some higher intensity runs.

Who are running plans for
Anyone who wants to start running properly would definitely benefit from a running plan, and there are running plans specific for all distances from 5k to ultra marathon, and for all levels from beginner to elite. You just have to find the right plan to suit your goal.

Who are running plans not for
If you just want to stay fit and don’t care about reaching any particular goal in running, you can certainly achieve that by just doing it randomly as I did at first. I made it to 5 miles in 6 months doing it that way.

And even if you have a goal you can still do it randomly, but it will probably take longer, and may not be as affective.

Final thoughts
I am certainly glad that I took this challenge and actually achieved 3 goals in the process.
  • 10 miles
  • Half marathon

It took me 6 months to work my way up to 5 miles not using a plan. It took only 12 weeks to achieve 3 additional goals using a plan.

I would like to sincerely thank the forum members who supported me through this plan, and also the ones who busted my kittens as well

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That is an amazing story and it’s great to see it all in one place. I’ve enjoyed journeying with you over the past few years.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    As someone without a military background, I also thought that running at a pace where talking was still possible... was for sissies. You weren’t alone!

I didn’t read eveything, but as someone who has abandoned running, the idea that a slower pace builds endurance is insightful. I’ve always thought ( only thought about, no action towards DOING or preparing) of doing a half marathon, but I have always assumed it would exacerbate my knee problems. I’ve never thought of using a running plan, but this is good food for thought.

Thanks for the breakdown of pros and cons. And congrats!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post this in the OP.

Here is the schedule that I followed...

he0b5ikkqizk.png
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    That is an amazing story and it’s great to see it all in one place. I’ve enjoyed journeying with you over the past few years.

Thank you @lorrpb , and you have been one of my inspirations.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    rosiorama wrote: »
    As someone without a military background, I also thought that running at a pace where talking was still possible... was for sissies. You weren’t alone!

I didn’t read eveything, but as someone who has abandoned running, the idea that a slower pace builds endurance is insightful. I’ve always thought ( only thought about, no action towards DOING or preparing) of doing a half marathon, but I have always assumed it would exacerbate my knee problems. I’ve never thought of using a running plan, but this is good food for thought.

Thanks for the breakdown of pros and cons. And congrats!

Thank you.

In my case, power walking and running at slow paces seems to have strengthened my joints quite a bit.

I think impact activities are necessary to keep joints healthy if done properly.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    nikkit321 wrote: »
    I just wanted to say I was following your progress thread and found you incredibly inspirational. I was putzing along, slowing increasing mileage/time after breaking my leg on Memorial Day last year. I hadn't made much progress resuming running, was barely hitting 3 miles after 3 months, when I found your thread. I'm now on week 10 of your plan and find it incredible how quickly I've improved with this plan. Thanks for posting!

Thank you, and it's incredible that you are in week 10 after barely hitting 3 miles prior to starting the plan.

Awesome job!!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Congrats again @OldAssDude. I never doubted you could run 13.1 (but I did have doubts that you would stick to the plan ;) ). Keep your momentum going and let us know when you're ready for the next challenge.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Congrats again @OldAssDude. I never doubted you could run 13.1 (but I did have doubts that you would stick to the plan ;) ). Keep your momentum going and let us know when you're ready for the next challenge.

Thanks again @dewd2 .

Going to recover a little and think of what my next goal should be.

Maybe work on my pace some?

Try to figure out what my race pace is for different distances?

Not sure where to go from here yet.
  • reginakarl
    reginakarl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Can you enroll in some local races, participate in parkruns, or join a local running group? I think if you run 2 or 3 5ks or other distances, you may understand your pace.

For me personally, my 5k pace is a minute per mile or two faster than my half marathon pace.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    reginakarl wrote: »
    Can you enroll in some local races, participate in parkruns, or join a local running group? I think if you run 2 or 3 5ks or other distances, you may understand your pace.

For me personally, my 5k pace is a minute per mile or two faster than my half marathon pace.

I've been thinking about maybe doing some 5k's, but my pace is ridiculously slow. My best 5k average pace is 12:47/mi. (don't laugh).

I did join a Facebook runners group for my county, but have not done any events with them yet.

Here are my PR's from Garmin Connect...

1 km 7:27.5 12:00 min/mi
    1 mi 12:16 12:16 min/mi
    5K 39:42 12:47 min/mi
    10K 1:27:58 14:09 min/mi
    Half Marathon 3:28:29 15:54 min/mi

Thank you for your input.
  • Wen2Run
    Wen2Run Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your pace, embrace the distance. Add a PR for marathon, 50k Ultra, 100k Ultra and 100 miler :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to finish the plan. You might check to see if there are any 15k - HMs in your area in the near future. Where I live, April is prime racing season. You might be surprised at how different it is to run a race vs. just running solo.