Update: Met with my trainer today and my measurements were good.

Options
Here is an update to my posts about not seeing the scale move in a few weeks.

So on the first of the month I added strength training to my workouts. My trainer took my measurements. So in 3 weeks even though the scale shows only a one pound loss I lost 2 inches in my waist, 1/2 and inch in each thigh and an inch in my hips. It was great to hear this since I haven't seen the scale change. I am just surprised that you can lose inches without losing weight. It is a new way of looking at things for me and I am trying to understand it better. Does this mean I may not loose the 5 pounds I am trying to lose. Thanks for helping me understand all of this.

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Eventually you'll likely lose the pounds, but understand your weight will likely always fluctuate between a few pounds. Recomp kind of works this way I believe. This is also why a lot of people recommend to take measurements since losses will not always be reflected on the scale.
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Here is an update to my posts about not seeing the scale move in a few weeks.

So on the first of the month I added strength training to my workouts. My trainer took my measurements. So in 3 weeks even though the scale shows only a one pound loss I lost 2 inches in my waist, 1/2 and inch in each thigh and an inch in my hips. It was great to hear this since I haven't seen the scale change. I am just surprised that you can lose inches without losing weight. It is a new way of looking at things for me and I am trying to understand it better. Does this mean I may not loose the 5 pounds I am trying to lose. Thanks for helping me understand all of this.

It depends if you are in a calorie deficit or not. You didn't mention that part of it. When you start a new weight training program, it isn't unusual to retain some water at first to repair your muscles. If you have been in a deficit then I would imagine you should see a drop in the number on the scale pretty soon. If you aren't really in a deficit, then you are essentially recomping which is ok as well especially if you are only looking to lose five pounds. It all just depends on what your goals are.
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Thats why I see a RD every 6 weeks. Weight, by itself is meaningless. I have weighed 165 for 5 months now. But, my arms and legs are bigger and all my skin folds are reduced. So, scale would tell me no progress alnone, but the measurements is what tells you the truth.