So I get less food now??

Options
leesh_loses_it
leesh_loses_it Posts: 26 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I need help understanding something, so the smaller I get the less calories I need to continue losing weight but when I was bigger, I could eat more? Am I understanding this correctly or not?
*Back story I'm currently 170lbs from being 216lbs, so I'm 46lbs down at the moment*

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    yeah this was a sad sad realization for me not too long ago (I was late to the game). i'm at the point now where i lose 10 calories a day every 2 pounds i lose (and update MFP :pensive:)

it may factor in where i decide to stop (though yes, exercise can even that out).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I have frequently thought about gaining weight so I can eat more. :)

Uhhmmmmm

:)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Well you don't necessarily get less "food". You may get less calories if you keep your goals the same, since your weight is part of what determines how many calories your body burns. However, you should also be adjusting your rate of loss as you lose weight. Its not considered safe to lose weight at the same pace at 170 as when you were at 216. So if you adjust your weight of loss to be at a slower pace, that will raise your calorie allowance and it could make it equal to or even greater than it was before.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that as you get smaller the rate at which you can (should) lose goes down so the deficit you can (should) maintain is also reduced.

For example when I first started my daily calorie goal was about 1850 per day. As I lost weight that dropped down to 1800, 1750 and eventually 1700. Then when my daily calories dropped down into the 1600's I adjusted my rate of loss from 1kg/w down to 0.75kg/w which bumped my calorie goal back up to around 1870.

Since then my calorie goal has slowly decreased to where it is today (1720) and it will keep going down until it gets to a point where It's too low (in the 1600's) at which time I'll reduce my rate down to 0.5kg/w which will bump my calories back up into the 1800's again.
  • suziecue25
    suziecue25 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Taller & younger people can reduce their calories as they lose weight but someone like me [aged 70 and 5ft] start on the lowest calorie allowance = 1200 with nowhere lower to go. I do have a strategy to overcome this though.....as I lose weight [10lbs lost and 40lbs to go] I will be able to do more and more exercise to offset the natural 'slow down'.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I have frequently thought about gaining weight so I can eat more. :)

BULK! LOL...

Yes, you have to eat less or... exercise more. No way around it. There is some evidence that there is some rmr slowing, such as in Libeil's metabolic ward studies, and some muscle efficiency changes. Some controversy on this subject because rmr is on a bell curve. As stated above, you weigh less. Less energy is needed to move and maintain your body. Kevin Hall, hallowed be his name, lol, says that for every 10lbs we lose, we need to cut 100 calories or burn it off in activity. Just my 2 cents...
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I’ve had the experience of allowing myself to eat more at each stage of weight loss. When I started trying weight loss at 230 lbs, I set my goal for losing 2lbs a week, and I was sedentary. By the time I got to around 190 lbs, I was only allowed to eat 1280 calories a day at this goal. As my weight loss continued, I changed my goal to 1 lb a week and I was naturally moving more because I felt more confident and active, so I was eating 1500 calories a day for a while. Now that I’m down to 145-150, I’ve changed my goal to a .5 lb a week loss, and this allows me to eat 1680 cals a day before exercise (and now that I’m smaller, I feel more able and willing to exercise and get myself more calories for the day). I average around 1720 total calories a day now, and I’m still losing. Excited to see what calorie level maintenance will bring me!
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are correct with your thought process! When you go into maintenance mode, you will see the calorie count go up again to accommodate for you wanting to stay where you are with your weight (at that point).
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    You are correct. It's good news and bad news all rolled together. The bad news is yeah, you can't go back to eating like you used to or you'll gain weight back. The bad news is your body needs less calories so you can't eat as much.

The good news is that if you have developed a way of eating during weight loss that you enjoy, all you have to do in maintenance is just bump your calories up a bit. Your weight loss experience is sort of a dress rehearsal for maintenance.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The way I approach it is to estimate what my maintenance at goal weight will be, and eat about 250 calories less than that. I do consider activity calories and adjust accordingly. My weight loss was larger in the beginning (about 40# ago) and now that I am within 10# or so, it's slowed considerably.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The happy insanity way to avoid the change: Figure out maintenance for your ideal goal weight. Eat that. Stay at that. This trains you how to stay at your goal weight.