weight loss / health issues/ water retention..again

Options
Thought I had my extreme water retention sorted by drinking lots of green tea but alas at weigh in this week scales weigh me at 6lbs more than last week!!!!! I have swum a minimum of one hour per day & have eaten about half of my exercise calories daily.I tried to buy some water balance tablets at the chemist but they refused to sell them to me.
My daily meds say they can cause weight gain & due to a stomach problem my diet has been low fat for over 20 years but still I have gained weight ( probably a combination of lack of exercise & love of carbs). I cannot walk much nor can I do any exercise which is not fully supported by water so swimming is my only option although may now have to do aqua jogging as have a partially dislocated knee due to so much breaststroke. I had major back surgery Feb.09 which has only partially resolved the spinal problem but nothing else can be done for that.
Even a dietician has thrown her hands up in horror at my lack of progress so am wondering if anyone has any advice?

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I am no Doctor but if you change up your exercise (look up some new pool exercises if you can't do other things) and eat more fiber it may help! Here is a list of fiber rich foods, if it helps ya. Also - make sure you are drinking enough water and eat the majority of your calories in morning/afternoon - leaving evening and night for lighter meals. Good Luck!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Thought I had my extreme water retention sorted by drinking lots of green tea but alas at weigh in this week scales weigh me at 6lbs more than last week!!!!! I have swum a minimum of one hour per day & have eaten about half of my exercise calories daily.I tried to buy some water balance tablets at the chemist but they refused to sell them to me.
    My daily meds say they can cause weight gain & due to a stomach problem my diet has been low fat for over 20 years but still I have gained weight ( probably a combination of lack of exercise & love of carbs). I cannot walk much nor can I do any exercise which is not fully supported by water so swimming is my only option although may now have to do aqua jogging as have a partially dislocated knee due to so much breaststroke. I had major back surgery Feb.09 which has only partially resolved the spinal problem but nothing else can be done for that.
    Even a dietician has thrown her hands up in horror at my lack of progress so am wondering if anyone has any advice?
    I highly suggest aqua joggin, it's much easier on the joints. I'd definitely do it deep water though and with a weighbelt (if the doc oks it for your back issue) would give you an even better workout and less pressure on your knee joints. Working out in the water can be one of the best things for someone who needs to be careful with joint issues, back issues etc. Or just plain wants a different way to workout for a change! :drinker:

I love my aqua classes, now just to get well and get back into them again this week!:sad: :flowerforyou:

Curious, you mention your 'chemist' (drugstore I assume in the States) won't sell you water pills have you seen your doctor in regards to how they feel about you taking them? I'm sorry you having such a difficult time. Even water walking will help so much, you'll get in some great excercise, the water is very calming, relaxing and again, less stress on our bodies (if one has joint issues) than walking or jogging on a track.

Take Care,
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • krinio
    krinio Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Some places do aqua aerobics classes as well which I've heard are good. You could maybe try that as well? Good Luck! I'm sure you'll get there in the end :flowerforyou:
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Pool is an awesome burn; however, you have to do more in the pool....for example,,, i have burned 1000 cal each visit to pool this week because I do physical activity in pool....i tread water, swim laps, i jog, i do pushups in water, lunges, squats etc...some just swim and yes it burns but when you do actuall work outs in the pool, you burn more but green tea, if you do some reading up on it, causes you to hold water....its a healthy drink yes, but you hold weight.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Perhaps you should speak to your doctor? Do you have pitting edema? It runs in my family. My mom's feet would swell up so bad her ankles would hang over the sides of her shoes. You could push in on my shins and leave deep dents. Luckily for me, exercise has cleared up all of my edema. But my mom had to go on diuretics. They have helped her a lot. Maybe they are worth a shot?
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.Don't seem to have the pitting oedema as no obvious swelling.Shall continue activity in deep water, have already made up a program but will be difficult knowing how many extra calories I should have so guess that will be trial & error.at the moment according to this site I usually burn in excess of 1000 cals per pool visit of which I consume about half.
    Interesting that someone said green tea aids water retention because have been drinking loads of it as was told the opposite so may be that is a contributing factor? Have reluctantly recorded my new weigh in today so means in 40 days have lost just 2 lbs!!!!
    Had thought of putting a ticker on but can't fathom how lol!!!!
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    I have the same problem with exercise as I cant stand for more than a minute at a time and have great difficulty walking. I cant go swimming at the moment as I have a leg ulcer but I will as soon as it has healed.

I try to do stretching exercises whilst sitting in a chair. I also do leg raises while sitting and use cans of beans as weights for arm exercises. I always make sure I include punching the air above my head using alternate fists, it doesn't take long to get my heart pumping and its good for bingo wings too.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The key to this might be in the beginning of your post. You stated you were only eating half your exercise calories. If you don't have edema, it doesn't sound like that 6 lbs. is water. I would suggest try for a week to eat all your exercise calories and see what happens. You already mentioned you had metabolic issues. Your body may be holding onto weight because you aren't getting enough calories. Just a thought.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Since you have had your medical eval, I would suggest putting lemon in your water, esp hot water with lemon.

The biggest thing I would consider is whether you have a food intolerance. I found out I had one to gluten and it has demystified my weight swings. Common culprits are gluten, wheat, dairy and soy. Why not try an elimination diet to see if it helps?