Chicken Salad ....Not so much a recipe, just a tip

Options
amfmmama
amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
for a quick grab and go lunch, I will take meat from a rotisserie chicken add light mayo and and make a chicken salad and put it on joseph's mini pita. Mayo is my downfall, so tonight, I did everything the same, but only used a little mayo, and added chicken broth. Tasty, not dry, and it tasted like I added gobbs of mayonnaise, but I didn't!

Replies

• amfmmama
    edited February 2019
    Options
    @crazyravr thank you!
  • amfmmama
    Options
    ok... I can't find it
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    for a quick grab and go lunch, I will take meat from a rotisserie chicken add light mayo and and make a chicken salad and put it on joseph's mini pita. Mayo is my downfall, so tonight, I did everything the same, but only used a little mayo, and added chicken broth. Tasty, not dry, and it tasted like I added gobbs of mayonnaise, but I didn't!

You can also buy light mayo at 35 cal versus 100. (depending on what you are making, you may not notice the difference).
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

@crazyravr
    Do you have a recipe to replace garlic sauce, you know the stuff you get on shawarma's? I'm thinking roast a head or 2 of garlic and then blend with a can of white beans? Maybe add some kind of liquid to make it more fluffy? Kinda like garlic hummus but not as dense. What says the expert in lower calorie, higher protein, fluff stuff?

• jcollie2928
    jcollie2928 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

mmmm mayo..another love of mine! Thanks for the tip!
  • wyeth84
    wyeth84 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    also greek yogurt will work! I also add a squeeze of lemon juice
  • TbGirl92
    TbGirl92 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've replaced mayo with half an avocado for my tuna sandwiches, and seasoned yogurt for about anything else.
  • amfmmama
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

You can also buy light mayo at 35 cal versus 100. (depending on what you are making, you may not notice the difference).

I like the light mayo a lot
  • amfmmama
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

@crazyravr
    Do you have a recipe to replace garlic sauce, you know the stuff you get on shawarma's? I'm thinking roast a head or 2 of garlic and then blend with a can of white beans? Maybe add some kind of liquid to make it more fluffy? Kinda like garlic hummus but not as dense. What says the expert in lower calorie, higher protein, fluff stuff?

YUMMY and relatively simple... thank you!
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    TbGirl92 wrote: »
    I've replaced mayo with half an avocado for my tuna sandwiches, and seasoned yogurt for about anything else.

I found using avocado and some salsa for tuna salad works out really well and keeps it from being too dry.

ETA: I really dislike mayo for sandwiches
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,610 Member
    Options
    I make chicken salad with a chopped avocado, a jar of commercial salsa and some chopped fresh coriander. No mayo at all. Outrageously easy to.