need more protien, but must control Cholesterol/Fat levels and sodium

Options
I just can't seem to reach my recommended Protein intake. I take 1/2 scoop Whey protein w/ 1 cup milk ( this was nutritionist recommended) and a thin slice of toast for breakfast, a Turkey/Ham/Chicken sandwich for lunch, and 4 oz meat main dish w/salad and some Noodles/rice/potato for dinner. How can I up my protein intake without upping my cholesterol/fat and sodium? I am a 51 yr old man with heart disease, and am limited to 2000 mg sodium per day.

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest speaking with a Registered Dietitian (anyone can call themselves a nutritionist).
  • Je55ica_79
    Je55ica_79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Fish, Turkey breast, chicken breast, tofu, low fat Greek yogurt, beans and legumes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    The thread below can be very useful in identifying enjoyable sources of low-calorie protein. It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories.

Look at your food diary, and find foods that are "costing" quite a few calories for the satiation and nutrition you get from them. Plan to reduce or eliminate those foods to free up calories. Then, look at the spreadsheet from the thread below. Find high-protein foods you enjoy eating, and use your freed-up calories to eat more of those.

Keep gradually making changes like this to tweak your eating to get closer to your goals over time, and before you know it, you'll be where you want to be nutritionally.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

Best wishes!
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lentils, and beans, are good source of protein
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting now?
  • lattin81
    lattin81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Overnight Oats. They have 26 grams of protein but they also have oatmeal (obviously) which contains soluble fiber. Soluble fiber reduces LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). All you do is mix the packet with milk in a shacker bottle and leave it in the fridge overnight. Super easy and it actually tastes good.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    My protein goal is about 110g a day and I aim to get 25-30 g with each of my 3 main meals and then have some greek yogurt as a snack. Whey protein varies from brand to brand - I look for the brand which has the highest ratio of protein g to total g and little or no sugar. I'd do a full scoop in the AM with your milk and then add 2 slices of Angelic Bakery 60 cal/slice bread for toast with 8 additional protein g and some helpful fiber. Overnight oats is also a great suggestion. I'd probably ditch the ham in my sandwich (or just use a tiny bit for flavor addition) and fill out with turkey or chicken for more protein and less fat. I'd also have that on Angelic Bakery bread (or Dave's Killer Bread thin sliced) to bump up protein and fiber. I'd eat 6-8 oz of lean meat rather than 4 oz for the evening meal and have a ton of veggies (especially cruciferous kind). Then I'd have some greek yogurt on hand for snacking purposes. Beans and lentils are also great options for low-fat, high protein, high fiber and filling meals.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    lattin81 wrote: »
    Overnight Oats. They have 26 grams of protein but they also have oatmeal (obviously) which contains soluble fiber. Soluble fiber reduces LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). All you do is mix the packet with milk in a shacker bottle and leave it in the fridge overnight. Super easy and it actually tastes good.
    Overnight oatmeal is a good choice, but, the pre-packaged ones usually have added sodium and sugar. You can easily make it yourself and control what is put into it. There are many recipes to choose from, sweet and savory.

Low sodium tuna is high in protein and only 70 calories.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Lunch/deli meat is often high in sodium. If that’s what you’re eating, change to whole cooked turkey or chicken. Tuna packed in water is usually lower in sodium while being high protein/low fat. Icelandic/Greek Yogurt is good, too.