microwave meals...

Options
does anyone use micromeals as an easy way of keeping within a calorie goal or a way of keeping portion sizes to a normal size? im a foodie and love cooking but i always go over the top and do piles of good food cause in my head its good for me.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I think there are plenty of people who use microwave/convenience meals when losing weight.

That said, I can get a much bigger portion from home cooked food at the same calories than a lot of microwave meals and it's more cost effective. If you enjoy cooking, can you not just pre-portion (Read - weigh) and freeze stuff and then bulk out with lower calorie veg/salad.
  • tashanic2
    tashanic2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do. I am lazy with food at lunch and don't want to prepare something just for myself so I grab a Lean Cuisine. I know how many calories are in it and it helps me plan for dinner by putting it in first thing in the morning.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I used them quite a bit during my weight loss phase and also the first few years of maintenance (mostly Lean Cuisine). If you add a bag of steamers veggies (I usually went with CA blend), it adds bulk to the meals and you get in a few servings of veggies that way too :)

I currently have a love affair with Green Giant veggie steamers and use them as a base for my lunch several times a week. I add shrimp or beans to them, or pair with a serving of salmon. Quick and easy and pretty nutritionally sound!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ziploc makes microwave steam bags - that i use when i travel - throw some chicken (or other protein in); add some kind of marinade or something and cook for 5-10 min and voila
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I do. I couldn't eat them every day, because there's a limited number I really like and I'd get bored, but they're great for days I don't have anything prepped and I'd be in danger of getting takeaway. I always add extra veggies to them to bulk them up, and I'll have a HB egg or yogurt on the side for the lower calorie ones.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I use them only occasionally now, but several years ago when I lost a bunch of weight and was at my lowest ever, microwavable meals were a stable of my diet. You want to make sure to supplement them with real foods so you are getting your full nutrition, but microwavable meals can definitely be incorporated as part of your weight loss.

I really hope the person who wooed this meant it as a woo hoo!!

I don't eat them as often as I did when I was losing weight but they're quick, easy to track, not completely disgusting, and can give you a portion controlled taste of something you're craving which can be good if you don't cook.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Yep I eat one about 5 days a week for lunch. It's easy, quick and I have a rotation of about 4 I really enjoy. I pair it with fresh fruit, some cheese or steamed or roasted veggies which were left overs from night(s) before.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I make my own microwave meals now if it's food that can be frozen. I have them already portioned/weighed and calories written on a sticker on the container. You could enter the ingredients into a recipe on this and then the portion number for easier logging and accurate calories/macro.

Store bought microwave meals are a last result since it's not much food and too salty for me. Lots of wasted calories in them too with pasta (so many have pasta) instead of some bulk veggies