Pregnancy and losing weight

Options
I am 23 weeks pregnant with my 2nd and I’ve been a little out of control with eating because “I’m pregnant and gonna eat what I want”. I started out 10 pounds heavier than I did with my first and I feel like I’m starting to gain too much weight. So I’m trying to count my calories and stay under control. Working out (walking on a treadmill) hasn’t happened because I’m just so tired chasing a toddler around. My question is: is it possible to Lose weight heath-ily when pregnant. I’m just hoping I can plateau for a couple weeks with gaining weight. Again I am being healthy I am not restricting myself from calories

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Ask your OB.
  • wallflower_17
    wallflower_17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't focus so much on losing weight, but rather making sure you are supporting yourself with quality actions. Clean up your diet, but don't restrict if you are hungry - if you crave sugar (like I did while pregnant), then allow yourself a treat once or twice a week, but set boundaries on the portion. Keep moving - walk or continue workouts you may have been doing prior to the pregnancy. Balancing healthy movement and a healthy diet will naturally keep your weight at a healthy/sustainable level.

I know it can be stressful, but preganancy is not the time to worry about WEIGHT - just focus on HEALTH.

And yes, talk to your OB/Midwife about your concerns or plans to make sure they are in agreement with your plan of action.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    You really need to talk with your OB about this. It is possible for some people but not everyone, and you need to make sure that you are providing yourself and your baby with sufficient fuel and nutrients.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The problem is that early pregnancy is when you don't need to gain very much weight -- the baby is like the size of a softball and weighs only about a pound. The weight in the first half of pregnancy is increased blood volume and some extra fat stores to help with nursing.

So now you're at the point of pregnancy when the baby NEEDS to gain weight and will begin to do it fast, and it needs good building blocks to do it from you, and what you eat.

There's also a difference between controlling your gain and actually losing.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Another vote to talk to your OB. He/she will be able to give you better advice.