Resistance bands

Options
Samm471
Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
edited February 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I have resistance bands but I'm wondering if they can be used for warming up as I see others in the gym use them a lot before resistance training. Do they have to be a certain resistance? Mine are more thin rather than the thick looking ones. I do warm up but not with bands. Just curious as I don't want them to go to waste, if I can use them to warm up before lifting.

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Your best warmup for any specific lift is doing the lift unloaded or with a light load compared to what your regular load is.

You could use the bands as part of your general warmup before you start lifting, but you should do a specific warmup for each lift as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It depends what you want to do with them. I typically use a medium to higher resistance to do glute warm-up, usually a thick fabric band. But I worked up to it because lighter is no longer challenging for me. You can always do more reps or double up. You don't want it to be too heavy just a warm-up.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    My warmup includes using a resistance band for the 4th exercise in this video:

https://themovementfix.com/great-banded-shoulder-warm-up/

followed by waist side bends and waist circles.

(That's not my whole warmup, but it is the part that requires the band.)
  • Samm471
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It depends what you want to do with them. I typically use a medium to higher resistance to do glute warm-up, usually a thick fabric band. But I worked up to it because lighter is no longer challenging for me. You can always do more reps or double up. You don't want it to be too heavy just a warm-up.

Thanks for replying. I wanted to use them to basically warm up the back before my pull sessions at the gym are the thinner bands okay for this or does it have to be those thicker ones?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Thanks for replying. I wanted to use them to basically warm up the back before my pull sessions at the gym are the thinner bands okay for this or does it have to be those thicker ones?

Any band is fine but if that is the case using lighter weights of your main pulls would be helpful as well.
  • Samm471
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Any band is fine but if that is the case using lighter weights of your main pulls would be helpful as well.

Yes I already do warm up sets for the main pulls just wanted to add a bit of a warm up with bands beforehand :)