20 lbs in 2 days iv fluid

I just got out of hospital after spinal fusion. When they weighed me I was 20lbs heavier than when checked in. I couldn’t believe it! But, what’s even more unbelievable is what I see in the mirror. My whole body is about 1-1/2 times larger. Huge thighs, huge stomach, no waistline. Logically, I know it’s the fluid, but it just looks like fat. Hope it goes away soon.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Your body will absorb it and filter it through your kidneys. You should pee it out over the next few days. :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    My arm swelled horribly from the IV fluids when I was in the hospital for my gallbladder surgery. Give your body some time to do its thing while you're healing.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Yes, it can take a little time for the fluids to settle down and flush out. Take your time and heal up first, don't bother with the scale for a week or two at minimum.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    I had a similar experience - when I was finally allowed out of bed and looked in the mirror, I looked like someone had blown me up like a balloon. Took a few days after discharge to get back to normal. It was funny when they weighed me and asked "is this about the right weight for you, usually?" "um, no."
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Its just the sodium in normal saline. It will go down in a few days
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    So a few years ago I had my gallbladder removed and was in the hospital with that - I gained 18 lbs. (and was not allowed to eat). A week later there were renegade gallstones as I call them (sludge as the doctor called them) and I was in the hospital for 4 days and gained 8 lbs. Then a month later they had to take out something they put in and it was day surgery and gained 4 lbs. So now when I have to have a procedure and get IV, I tell the nurse that I do not want you to start the IV until they are just about ready to begin the surgery. The one nurse was going off duty so she told the other nurse this and she said "I don't blame her".
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Totally normal. Each IV bag of saline is 2.2 lbs and they run them pretty quick during surgery
  • JLynKnaRN
    JLynKnaRN Posts: 11 Member
    Surgery also comes with a massive inflammation response and swelling....just focus on your recovery for now!
  • Tugsandpull
    Tugsandpull Posts: 40 Member
    Been there give it a week or two